no ignition lights, no crank /no go!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

peter007

no ignition lights, no crank /no go!

Post by peter007 »

i have a 306 srdt 1.9 (1.9 turbo diesel) sedan. I turn the key and there are no ignition lights
come on, and further turning it doesn't make it crank over or anything. Can't even hear a click
on the starter motor solenoid. The battery is fine, as we tested it with a multimeter and
tried a different battery. no in car fueses have blown neither the one's under the bonnet.

my friend came over and took the steering column casing off and used a peice of wire and managed
to apparantly hot wire the car. it worked , ignition lights came on and then used the key to start
it. he then thought it would be the ignition barrel at fault. so off my other 306 we swapped it
over and did not fix it. he then saw that a previous owner had run a wire from the starter motor
solenoid to the ignition and somehow drawn power from near the heater. he thought they had done
this bodge to bypas a problem and that he now thought their bodge has stopped working. he ripped
their bodge off and now intends to find the initial problem. i was just wondering if anyone had
any suggestions or they have had a similar problem? ps the earth on the car seems fine. until
he looks further he thought that it looked like the red and white wire (brown connector block)
in the steering column leads into the car into some kind of fault, but was unsure where it went.
he may be wrong. any electricial masters out there?

PS i do remember before this happened, the thermostat guage went loopy (just kept going from
side to side) - coolant was fine - maybe a sign of something electrical failing?

i appreciate any comments
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

It's not the ignition barrel at fault, it's the ignition switch that's attached to it, and can be separated from it.
This story has some relevance, even though it's another contact of the switch that fails here:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=17322
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389