406 Lighter

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fatbugger
My Cars:

406 Lighter

Post by fatbugger »

Hi All

This might seem like a stupid question but....

Can someone tell me how to remove the ciggarette lighter from the centre console on a 406?

Mine has not worked for ages and I would like to use it to charge my phone.

Surely the console does not have to come out does it?

Any help would be appreciated.
Mike
2005 Peugeot 407 SW SE 1.6 HDI 110 BHP
1998 Peugeot 406 SX TD Deceased
1999 Xsara Sensation 1.9D Deceased
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

Hi,

Have you checked that the fuse hasn't blown to the lighter?
R Reg Phase 2 306 DTurbo (Blaze Yellow) (Sold)
X Reg Phase 3 306 1.4 LX (Sold)
03 Renault Scenic Dynamique +
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
52 Nissan Almera 1.8 sport+
fatbugger
My Cars:

406 Lighter

Post by fatbugger »

Yes I checked that first hoping that was all it was going to be.

Looking at all the corrosion inside the lighter socket I presume that it is in need of a new one
Mike
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Honestly -

A new complete lighter socket with build-in light is just some £3 from any accessory shop.
But to disassemble the facia panel to remove the old one is nuts - it will probably be a nightmare of a full weekend job.
The sockets are a pressfit with locking springs from behind. The risc of snapping/breaking up the associated plastic panels are very high.

I recommand you find a suitable location in the center console and fit a shining new (and working) £3 socket.

There should be a +12V fused wire to the existing socket - with power always on. The fuse is usually 10Amp. Note the socket lights should go on the sidelights circuit. Otherwise it will light up forever and drain the battery over night.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Horse

Post by Horse »

Center consol has to come out, never done 1 on a 406 but I would not think it would be that hard.
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

pull out fuse first then get a screwdriver and lever out the chrome centre piece first will be very tight and will damage it on removal then you can get out the illumination part which only goes in one way notice the flat on one side.you dont have to take our center console it can be done in place,you can also pop up gear lever gaitor and get your finger in here to push up a bit on cigar lighter.also you may get in from the other end by removing coil holder/heated seat switch.when you get new one fit complete assembly as some suppliers have different internals :wink:
EP6T petrol turbo nice engine in the 207 GT and the new mini....
spokes

Post by spokes »

hi all ive had to do this myself theres no need to rip out pannels or get at the thing with a screwdriver it simply pushes out from below .......firstly remove the complete ashtray assembly ....lift up the gearstick gaiter knock it into first gear to give you a bit more room ....get your hand down into the hole remove the illumination light this will feel like a small square box on the side of the lighter..it will most likely come apart in your hand and loss the bulb but it or any other parts can be retrieved easily...remove the power supply leads and thats it just push hard on it and it will pop right out ...... it will probably be a bit awkard and hard to get at for some but its should only take 15 to 20 mins to replace
derrick013
My Cars:

Post by derrick013 »

give up smoking no need for lighter in car and also you dont need mobile phone in car either thats why there is so many accidents nowadays people talking on phones
fatbugger
My Cars:

406 Lighter

Post by fatbugger »

Don't do either Derrick

Gave up smoking over 20 years ago and I only want to charge a switched off phone if the battery is low.
Never make or recieve calls in the car!
Happy New Year
Mike