Suspension - 605 - Front left doesn't want to play

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Adstar
My Cars:

Suspension - 605 - Front left doesn't want to play

Post by Adstar »

After a blow out last night on the rear left, I thought I was doing well changing it in the dark and snow. :D However this morning, I come to the car and the front left seems to have collapsed! Which is VERY worrying as it was all fine when I came home last night. :?

There is no bounce in it! But it does handle ok still (at very low crawling to work speeds!)

I am assuming after my discovery of last night, that the suspension on this car is fairly complex and has a certain amount of self leveling?

Before I throw it and money at a garage, can any one hazzard a guess at to the possible causes of my missing suspension! I am pointing the finger at either shocks or springs... both are goign to be expensive aren't they! But I am feebly and nievely hoping that it could be a fluid problem, that might thaw out or could be replaced!

Thank you please

:x Adam.
605 Only an SL but it is a DT with a shake rattle and role!
Mk 1 MR2 waiting to have the final useful bits removed... RIP.
Adstar
My Cars:

Post by Adstar »

As an addition to my post, can anyone shed any light on the suspension make up on this car. I know I sound like an idiot, but I haven't had the time or inclination until now to examine it, and now I don’t have the situation or equipment (being as I’m at work and the car park is covered in crap and snow!)

I couldn't see much last night, and this morning is hindered by the ride height of the car! Do I have the pleasue of hydrualic suspension? torsion bars at the back? where are the shocks and springs in the front (probably shouldn't ask that but I couldn't see for the darkness and red mist this morning!)

This is what I get for buying a rare/exclusive car! So much for reliability!
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

This is a complete and utter guess but.

Several PSA cars have suffered from failed springs. And the Citroen Picasso has had a recall to have a guard fitted to prevent a failed spring bursting the tyre. (would fitting stronger springs be too much to ask?).

Could this be the cause of your blowout, and the now lopsided suspension?
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi

The 605 has a normal strut & spring set up at the front.

At the back theres a kind of torsion bar set up with trailing arms, normal springs & shocks, Its a DIFFERENT kind of rear set up to the 205 / 306 / 405 torsion bar set up.

Also some higher or sporty specs of 605 could be had with electrically adjustable suspension.
Adstar
My Cars:

Post by Adstar »

interesting to hear about the weak springs! Unfortunately the blow out was on the back, the suspension has gone on the front, both on the left (passenger) side.

When we got it on the tow truck, we were able to see that the spring is in the wrong place! This means that either the spring is broken, the strut holding the spring is broken, or the spring worked itself out of position as a result of the car being jacked up!

I am awaiting confirmation of the actual problem, but if what you are saying is true, not only do I not have clever suspension, but I might as invest in uprated springs (and possibly lower the car!).

Panic is over, for now! But I will update with the mechanics findings.

Thanks
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

I can't imaging jacking the car up would be enough to allow the spring to come out of position otherwise they would be popping out all the time.

I suspect something has broke. I also suspect that whatever broke dropped in the path of your rear wheel and caused the blowout.
Adstar
My Cars:

Post by Adstar »

Unfortunately not.. The tyre was destroyed long befre the suspension collapsed. I did another 20 odd miles on the new tyre the same evening. It was the following day that the whole suspension evet occured.

Any way.. I have recieved the rather painfull news:

I haven't ascertained exactly how, but the spring is broken, as a result the shock has been damaged. £200 each corner!

Happy happy joy joy... and Im not even getting uprated equipment, just standard replacements! :roll:
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

surely cheaper and easier just to pull a whole suspension leg from a car in a breakers. £25, and you'll have a partially worn damper and spring to roughly match the other side. Otherwise you're looking at changing both front springs and dampers, as you should never fit new to one side only.

If the suspension legs are anything like a 405 (which I believe they are) then the leg can easily be separated from the hub carrier. 30 minute job.
This is not a signature.
Adstar
My Cars:

Post by Adstar »

Probably cheaper but I haven't looked into it. Not so sure it would be easier as these things are rare as the droppings of a rocking horse! Besides which, I would have to get the parts myself, or pay the costs of a breaker doign it, in which case my guess is it would be nearer £50+ a corner, but that is just a guess. But who knows when a used part could give me the same problem, and in a ptoential MUCH more dngerous situation! (No-one was in the car when it broke, assuming the mystery bang I heard outside was the spring breaking!)

Anyway, my theory is, apart form the fact I hadn't thought about it, if i put new bits on, I have a certain length of time where they should be safer and more reliable than anything used or worn. If something goes wrong in the next year or so, I will be able to get the mechanic to claim the costs back against the supplier or something like that. This is a job that I could have done myself, if I had the time and space. I am basically paying for peace of mind, and to keep myself from getting cold and wet!

I am working on the fact that this car was supposed to, and now HAS to, last me a few years, so it is a worth while 'investment'. Now, in theory, I shouldn't have to replace the suspension items on the front of the car for as long as I own it.

I wish I had got that 405 exec... If only! Wheres my MR2.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi

Ring or pop into your local Pug dealer with your 605s VIN number & ask them for the prices of new pukka Pug parts, You may get a shock at how cheap they are now :wink:

Peugeot drop the spares prices by a long way once a model is out of production.