306 HDi Fuel Pump Problem

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CICA
My Cars:

306 HDi Fuel Pump Problem

Post by CICA »

Hi Guy's

I was hoping someone can give me a bit of advice in this one...

I went to start my 306 the other week to let it heat as it was a cold and frosty morning. The car started as usual with no problems, but after about 10-15 seconds it all of a sudden stopped dead, as it the ignition had just been switched off. The problem is that the car will no longer start.

On trying to start the car, the engine just turns over but does not fire up. I have tried to start it again a couple of times but not luck at all and still the starter just turns over, but the engine does not fire up. I have checked the oil levels which seem ok, and what makes it strange is I had the car out the night before and it was going fine. I am guessing but could it be that the fuel is not getting to the engine?

I have since replaced the fuel filter and on researching the problem I have found out that fuel pump failure on 306 HDi can be a common problem and that the lower pressure fuel pump (situated down near the tank) that sends the fuel up from the tank to the engine can be liable to fail. Has anyone else experienced/heard of this problem and if so can you offer any advice as to how to fix it?
Thanks...
CICA
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

i have heard this rumour personally aswell.

I also have an HDi, so am sitting with my fingers and toes crossed!

Apparently when that happens, you need a new lifter pump, and quite often need the entire system cleaning as what happens is that bits of shrapnel from the pump get into the fuel lines.

Thats what i was told by somebody in pugbitz in denton.

Regards
David.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

I wonder if it would be a wise precaution to put a petrol injection fuel filter in the line just after the tank pump. These are more than capable of the flow and pressure characteristics of the pump, and would provide a level of protection for the upstream components.
This is not a signature.
CICA
My Cars:

Post by CICA »

Thanks for the replies.

My understanding of the workings is that the lifter pump brings the fuel up to the Fuel Filter. The fuel then passes through the fuel filter and then on to the injector pump.

Do either of you guys know exactly where this "lifter pump" is situated? I have heard various different places some say is under the bonnet near the back of the engine ( back = up near dash board end of engine). Whilst I have heard that it located "in" the fuel tank, while another guy told me it is under the off side rear seat, under a blanking plate. So I am totally unsure as to where it is situated...

Thanks
C
Thanks...
CICA
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

truthfully.... i dont know.

But i would guess that the lifter pump is actually in the fuel tank "lifting" the fuel out of the tank.

David.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

it is definitely in the fuel tank
CICA
My Cars:

Post by CICA »

Thanks guy's... I'll have a look and I'll keep you's informed...

Ta
C
Thanks...
CICA
CICA
My Cars:

Post by CICA »

Hi Guy's

Since my lasy post I have removed the fuel pump from the tank and hardwired it to the battery, and guess what... the pump works! (Well at least I think it works, as when the connection is complete the pump makes a small humming noise, just like the noise a small electricial motor would make...) So my impression is that the fuel pump is fine

So I'm now pondering what the next step will be... Should I call out an auto electrician to fault find on the car? Or should I just take it straight to a garage to see what the can do to it?

Many thanks guys
Ciaran
Thanks...
CICA
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

check fuse has not blown in fuse box under bonnet
CICA
My Cars:

Post by CICA »

Hi,

I had a look at these fuses and although the seem of larger capacity than the fuses down at the drivers foot well, none of them appear to be fused.
Thanks...
CICA
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

have you checked that the fuel pump is getting a feed when the ignition is switched on ?
CICA
My Cars:

Post by CICA »

Hi,

I have managed to get the car starting again, but this was only possible through wiring the fuel pump straight to the battery. When the connection to the battery is made the pump makes a "humming" noise.

When removing the wires and putting the plug back onto the pump, it does not make this same "humming" noise when the ignition is switched on. So to answer your question it appears that there is no power coming to the pump. As a result I am contemplating taking the car to an Auto Electrician's garage as there is nothing further I can do to fix the car, as I do not have a means of testing the trip switches or the ECU etc, where it is now presumed the problem lies...
Thanks...
CICA
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

Would this car would have a fuel pump relay? I'm guessing that it would (somebody correct me if I'm wrong)
Find out if it does and where it is and see if this is at fault.
R Reg Phase 2 306 DTurbo (Blaze Yellow) (Sold)
X Reg Phase 3 306 1.4 LX (Sold)
03 Renault Scenic Dynamique +
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
52 Nissan Almera 1.8 sport+
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Not too familiar with the 306 myself but im pretty sure it will have a 'double relay' which is a 15 pin relay that controls the fuel pump & feeds the sensors,it is either brown or black & is usually located next to the ECU,near the under bonnet fusebox or possibly next to the glowplug relay,like i say im not to familiar with the layout of the 306. these relays are a common failure on Pugs & citroens.
CICA
My Cars:

Post by CICA »

Hi,

I'll have a look and try to locate this relay. Is there any way of visually telling if this replay needs replaced or is broken?

(30 mins later)

Had a look and I've unfortunately had no success in locating this relay :( May well end up having to take it to an Auto Electrician, just hope he doesn't charge me an arm and a leg!
Thanks...
CICA