Air Box Drilling

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gotta New Pug

Air Box Drilling

Post by Gotta New Pug »

Evening all,
Has anyone ever seen a 406 GLX 2.0 petrol with its air box drilled? I remember when I had my 206 I drilled the box and seemed to get much better fuel economy - although it was all a bit more noisey.
Been thinking about doing my 406 but dont wanna bugger up the air box, I know where to drill the holes and everything but just need some from people that have done it to their cars or seen it done!
I dont wanna buy an induction kit either :lol: my car needs to stay standard looking!
Thanks
John[/b]
matt
My Cars:

Post by matt »

Ive seen this done before and i must say it looks a bit of a bodge,if its more flow of air your after why not just replace the filter element with a k+n panel or similar?Surely drilling holes on the clean side of the filter box is only going to let dirty air into the engine,not an ideal situation.
92 205 1.9 GTI(MODIFIED,SORRY )
1996 VOLVO 850 2.5 5CYL 10V
1999 EXPERT VAN TD - WHITE !
No more car's thanks!
Paul Mi16

Post by Paul Mi16 »

Don't do it, the airbox presumably has been designed that way for a reason. A performance filter element would be a bettert bet, the car is hardly going to look standard with airbox full of holes.
Paul
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

A guy at work tried it on his Volvo and the engime management light came on and stayed on. He had to replace the airbox before claiming on his warranty to get the engine management reset.

As others have said, the filter will be the bottleneck so any improvements will likely come from there.
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

If the ideia of filling the filter box with holes is to engure less resistance to air flow, it is definately a wrong ideia.

As said here before, if the air filter box was designed in a certain way it´s because that´s the way it is meant to be. The issue is that there is a filter box and an air tube so that the air that enters the engine is as COLD as possible. That is the whole reason why there is a tube sucking air from the lower part of the car or behind the rims or whatever. If you drill holes into the box, you will end up taking hot air comming from the engine bay into the engine. Sure, you win better airflow, but you loose thermodynamic efficiency. It is just not worth it!!
Xantia Activa 2.0 HDi (1999)
Renault Clio 1.9D (1994)
BX 16TRS (1984) - RIP
Fiat Uno 45s (1987) - RIP