Head gasket 406td

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fatbugger
My Cars:

Head gasket 406td

Post by fatbugger »

Hello

Any thoughts on a reasonable cost for head gasket replacement on a 98 406TD?
I presume water pump and timing belt replacement are the norm but is there anything else to do whilst it is apart?

I have also developed a slight hesitation on tickover when hot. It is fine when cold but is so slight it does not even move the rev counter needle. I presume (although maybe I should not) that it is associated with the head gasket problem.

Any thoughts would be appreciated
Mike
2005 Peugeot 407 SW SE 1.6 HDI 110 BHP
1998 Peugeot 406 SX TD Deceased
1999 Xsara Sensation 1.9D Deceased
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

To do a head gasket, timing belt and water pump on one of these will be the best part of £400 at least. Depends on where you go. Most places won't actually change the timing belt unless you ask them too, and it's entirely possible to do the head without fully removing the belt.

I've done exactly this, on a 1997 model 406 1.9TD before (the whole lot that is) , and it's reasonably straightforward. Remember to make sure the head is skimmed as part of the process.

Where are you based?
This is not a signature.
fatbugger
My Cars:

Post by fatbugger »

Hi Fast and Furious
£400 ish is about the price I was thinking. Sadly I have to take it to a garage. Would have done it myself a few years ago but due to illness the old hands and fingers are not what they used to be. I am located in Halesowen in the West Midlands so will try around some of my local garages to see what they can do.
Thanks for the reply and info. Will let you know how I get on.
Mike
2005 Peugeot 407 SW SE 1.6 HDI 110 BHP
1998 Peugeot 406 SX TD Deceased
1999 Xsara Sensation 1.9D Deceased