Peugeout 205 advice.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rob Marshall

Peugeout 205 advice.

Post by Rob Marshall »

Hello there! My GF has a Peugeot 205 1.1 "style". She has called me saying the battery light is coming on as she is driving. Drive belt OK; but the light glows dimly, goes off or sometimes stays on. Am I thinking that the alternator is at fault?

Also, she is thinking of selling the above car. It's the usual question of "how much do you think it's worth" She loves "percy" but now needs something a bit bigger, as she is now doing motorway driving.

It is a J reg (92) 1.1 style 3 door. It's red, the paint is all original and is not faded. Cambelt, discs and pads, and new Valeo clutch within the last 10,000 miles. 2 previous owners, Full service history withr egular oil and coolant changes & full MoT. Excellent interior (non smoking girl!) 71,000 miles. Needless to say, the running gear is excellent. Was thinking around the £600 mark: or am I being totally optimistic??!

Thanks guys!

Rob
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Sounds like alternator. With that changed, £600 should be possible I would have thought if in top nick. I think it's the facelift model at that age too?
1986 Citroën 2cv Dolly. 133k. All shiny again!
1994 Citroën AX 1.0 Jive - girlies' workhorse GONE
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

£600 sounds right - but you'll need a full MoT to shift it. The car sounds like a gem, but there are a lot of P and N-reg cars in the sub-£500 price bracket now, which will count against you.
2000 Clio 1.2 8-valve
1993 Mercedes 190E
2007 Honda FRV diesel
1998 Xsara TD, 293K - gone but not forgotten.
205s, 405, ZXs all loved and crushed.
Rob Marshall

Post by Rob Marshall »

I thought that would be right. It's in cracking condition for it's age, goes really well, and I don't begrudge spending money on it to keep it reliable (the same thing goes for the car - boom boom!!)

Anyway, yeah the car is a little corker, but it just too light and small to ruin pounding on motorways: she has to borrow my TD BX to do long distances in, which is really annoying for me!!

I would be happy to put a recon alternator on it; last thing I want is my beloved broken down at the side of the road (I'm talking about the car now!)

So with a full test, anyone interested in a nice 205 as a first car. I'll even service it!

Rob
Rob Marshall

295 again

Post by Rob Marshall »

nearly forgot; the 205 is a facelifted one: clear indicators!