Brake disc resurfacing

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

a_seebo
My Cars:

Brake disc resurfacing

Post by a_seebo »

Has somebody ever resurface their front brake discs? Any comments?
Avi has got a Peugeot 106 Equinox of Nov 1998, 1124 cc
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

It is simply not worth doing unless you have an old car with difficulties in sourcing parts for it.

A pair of good Brembo or other makes of breaks disks cost around 50 Euro...
Xantia Activa 2.0 HDi (1999)
Renault Clio 1.9D (1994)
BX 16TRS (1984) - RIP
Fiat Uno 45s (1987) - RIP
alexp-j
My Cars:

Post by alexp-j »

It could be the case that parts are not as easy to get in Mauritius.
I know people in Jamaica who skim their disks but you can take it to extremes and end up with paper-thin disks.
<GONE>1991 Peugeot 106 1.1 Carb</GONE>
<GONE>2004 Peugeot 307 SW 2.0 Hdi</GONE>
1995 Peugeot 106 Ski 1.5 D
2006 FIAT Panda 1.3 MultiJet
a_seebo
My Cars:

Post by a_seebo »

Rostami wrote:It is simply not worth doing unless you have an old car with difficulties in sourcing parts for it.

A pair of good Brembo or other makes of breaks disks cost around 50 Euro...
Resurfacing a disc cost around 10 Euro.. and I think It's worth when resurfacing within the thickness limit.

No it's not difficult at all to have a pair of disc here in Mauritius( this country is a fast developing one don't forget).

It's a question of price and the result is practically the same... What do you think?

But I can hear a rattle sound after applying the brakes, I mean when the piston returns (when the brakes are released).
Does somebody know what it is?
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

If you've got Bendix brakes, it could be an anti-rattle clip has come off, or is incorrectly set up. They look like paper clips, and are very fiddly.

I went to Mauritius two years ago Avi - top masseurs, seafood and beaches. Bring it on!! 8)
2000 Clio 1.2 8-valve
1993 Mercedes 190E
2007 Honda FRV diesel
1998 Xsara TD, 293K - gone but not forgotten.
205s, 405, ZXs all loved and crushed.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

With the prices they charge for rotors out here, I presume you might be in the same position. We get quoted prices like A$275 a rotor and silly things like that whereas a disc grind can be anything from $25 - $45 and usually discs have a limit stamped on them.
When I did mine on the Xantia they were within limits but due to the style of driving had w3orn a sharp edge along the outer diameter and about 3mm towards the centre. I carefully ground it off with an angle grinder as I reconed I could see it giving me dodgy brakes (due to the ABS) if it was occasionally grabbing the pads with this sharp edge and also stood the risk of doing damage to the pads and causing premature failure. The brakes work as good on this car as anything I've ever driven and I don't have the problems a lot of other Xantia drivers talk about with brakes feeling a bit (lot) unpredictable at times, so if this is the problem, I'd suggest that providing they're kept within safety limits, it may just be a better option than new rotors.
The rattle could be the clips as has been suggested and also may be that your rear calipers may be seized as this happens gradually and is often hard to detect unless they are removed, cleaned lubed and refitted as when they sieze fully or partially, the pads are not making hard contact with the rotor and can tend to "flap around" between the caliper and rotor.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
a_seebo
My Cars:

Post by a_seebo »

Well, the pads I'm using are Valeo. I don't have rear brake disc.

By the way, what does "rotor" in a brake system mean?
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Rotor is the brake disc.
BX Slave