306 Automatic Gear Selector

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Duncs

306 Automatic Gear Selector

Post by Duncs »

I noticed today that the interlock on my Automatic Gear Selector on my '98 306 1.8LX Auto isn't working properly. Going form 'reverse' down to '3' and the interlock doesn't work at all (you don't have to press the button on the gear selector). Going the other way the interlock only fails between '3' and 'drive'. All other gear changes the button does work. The gears are being selected OK and still click in to position.

Anyone else had this problem?
pazz
My Cars:

Automatic gear selector

Post by pazz »

Your gear selector is working perfectly. I have two automatic Peugeots and they both work exactly as you described. If you can get into the habit of moving between 3rd and drive without depressing the button this is useful for overtaking, and means you cannot accidentally end up in neutral or reverse. Similarly, if you want to get back to drive from 1st or 2nd just push the lever forward without depressing the button, and you will be protected from accidentally selecting neutral or reverse.
1993 309GLi Auto 145K
1993 405GLi Auto Estate 218K
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

For comfort, my ZX 1.8 Auto (97) is exactly the same, such that you can go from R to A (or normally 3, then back up a notch - easier) is one sweeping movement. It does make going into R a more careful move - as it should be, really.

Granted, it is different to just about every other auto car i've ever driven! I do still sometimes drive for the first 5 miles in "3" and wonder why I keep turning the radio up..
Duncs

Post by Duncs »

Thanks for your replies and advice, guys. I've had the car for six months and only just noticed. I was thinking of stripping the selector unit down in to bits!