Urgent! 306 CV boot. Hammer split or not?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Niek
My Cars:

Urgent! 306 CV boot. Hammer split or not?

Post by Niek »

Hello Guys,

I have to do the outer rhs cv boot for my cousin on his '96 306 1.4i.
I've done the outer lhs on the bx once and this is of the whack it hard with a hammer type. The joint comes off complete and replacing the boot is then quite easy.
We took everything off but left the driveshaft on the car, can anyone confirm that the joints used on this car can also be split by hitting them with a hammer? If not how do you replace this boot?

I really need some advice here, pretty much stuck.

Cheers,
Niek
1986 2CV6 Charleston
1992 Bx 14 Deauville
1995 Xm 16v [Sold]
1994 Xm 2.5TD
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

What a coincidence: I'm doing the CV boots on my 306 today! Mine's the HDI though so I can't give you an exact answer, but Haynes says that on the 1.4 and 1.6 models joints are spider-and-yoke type (so likely to be different from your BX). According to Haynes, you need to remove the inner CV joint and slide the outer gaiter off the inner end. :shock:

Sounds like you could be in for some fun! :P
Niek
My Cars:

Post by Niek »

Thanks.

I'll post how we got on. Goodluck with yours!
1986 2CV6 Charleston
1992 Bx 14 Deauville
1995 Xm 16v [Sold]
1994 Xm 2.5TD
Niek
My Cars:

Post by Niek »

Ok it's done.
On this car you have to remove the drivershaft, then unfold the tin can folded edge on the inside (ie the gearbox side, not the side with the gaitor on). You can now slide the whole can + gaitor assembly towards the outer CV joint (undo the clip holding the gaitor first obviously) and you will see the triax (I think it's called that). To remove, undo the circlip on the end of the driveshaft and slowly hit the triax off using a hammer and some kind of drive (it's fit on splines and needs a little persuasion to move). Once off remove the tin can together with the gaitor. Put the new boot on for the outer joint and put the whole thing back together the other way round.
Something to remember, to get the driveshaft off the car, remove the two nuts of the bolts holding the intermediate bearing in. Push the two bolts back and rotate about 180 degrees (if you now pull the bolt back towards you you should notice that they don't come out as far anymore. If they do you haven't rotated it good enough). Now use a hammer and a suitable drive to persuade the bearing (usually rusted in) to come out of it's housing. It might help, did in our case, if someone were to gently pull on the other end of the driveshaft.

Not alot of fun, but when you know how to do it it's ok.
1986 2CV6 Charleston
1992 Bx 14 Deauville
1995 Xm 16v [Sold]
1994 Xm 2.5TD
stubbsy

Post by stubbsy »

why not just buy the plastic cone (available from any good motor factors for a few pounds),which allows you to stretch the boot over the outer joint (with liberal amounts of washing up liquid) no need to remove the shaft what so ever 8)
Niek
My Cars:

Post by Niek »

You have to get the boot to go with the cone (stretchy). I haven't ever seen them here yet.
1986 2CV6 Charleston
1992 Bx 14 Deauville
1995 Xm 16v [Sold]
1994 Xm 2.5TD
stubbsy

Post by stubbsy »

or a universal split type boot where you have to cut the boot to size and glue it up.sometimes they are good sometimes they arnt,but must be alot less hassle than pulling out a shaft.
Niek
My Cars:

Post by Niek »

Agreed.
Although I'd probably go the same route again now, don't really know why... (must like to get my hands dirty)
1986 2CV6 Charleston
1992 Bx 14 Deauville
1995 Xm 16v [Sold]
1994 Xm 2.5TD