help! 306xsi gear lever rocking--sorted!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nickm
My Cars:

help! 306xsi gear lever rocking--sorted!

Post by nickm »

i wonder if anyone could give me some advice--i've been offered a peugeot 306xsi quite cheap but when driving it the gear lever seems to rock backward and forwards--it's not too bad but i don't want to commit if it's an expensive fix-the owner says he thinks it's a tyre problem but i was thinking gearbox mounting--any ideas on problem and price to fix?
thanks in advance
bad driver
My Cars:

Post by bad driver »

any other symptons? If its just that then probably engine / gearbox mounts are worn, if theres any other wobbles then it could be driveshaft / hub or wheel related.
nickm
My Cars:

Post by nickm »

don't appear to be any other symptoms-car seems to drive straight and there isn't any c/v or driveshaft rumblings--just like a pulsing feeling and the lever moves back and forwards, passed it's mot in july and brakes seem fine
nickm
My Cars:

Post by nickm »

i'm still struggling for ideas if anyone can help-my mate took this car to a garage and they replaced the bottom arm and tracked it up, charging him £120 and it hasn't fixed it or made a difference--i've now bought the car from him and notice that when the shaking is bad if i dip the clutch, the shaking goes, is a mounting still a possibility?
does anyone know an expert in the Leicester area who can diagnose and fix? i just can't afford to chuck money at it if it doesn't cure it--thanks for any help!
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Probably is the engine mounts. Is there a lower stabiliser one on the subframe, kinda looks round with a bracket going through it. That was shot on my Visa, the rubber breaks up and so the engine was rocking around, put a solid one in and fine. Probably only a hours job in a garage. You want to look at the engine and rev it manually or get someone to do it and see how much its moving. Shouldnt really rock back and forth more than half an inch. When the engines not running you could try rocking it yourself as well.
nickm
My Cars:

Post by nickm »

thanx for that darren, i'll try it when my mate gets here-silly question but if it's the mount, wouldn't it still do it when i dip the clutch?
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

not really as the engines just idling. If you are driving along, put the clutch down and rev it then it should rock, well shouldnt but if the mounts are dead then it will
nickm
My Cars:

Post by nickm »

my mate just told me there is no front to back movement from the engine when it's revved but suspects the movement is sideways??does that make any sense?
nickm
My Cars:

Post by nickm »

thanks for replies-turned out to be a drivers side driveshaft, £35 +vat bargain!