Stuck fuel guage

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

b21playa

Stuck fuel guage

Post by b21playa »

filled the tank up all the way and now ive done 170 miles and still the needle has not moved
ive opened the cap to release the pressure but nothing
any ideas?
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

The usual test is to take the cable of the sender unit on the fuel tank. Make sure it's not touching any thing and turn on the ignition. Is the gauge reading full or empty?
If full the problem is probably the gauge or the cable has shorted somewhere.
If it reads empty its probably the sender unit in the tank either packed up or sticking.
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by demag</i>

The usual test is to take the cable of the sender unit on the fuel tank. Make sure it's not touching any thing and turn on the ignition. Is the gauge reading full or empty?
If full the problem is probably the gauge or the cable has shorted somewhere.
If it reads empty its probably the sender unit in the tank either packed up or sticking.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
where exactly is the sender unit and how do i go about taking the cable off
solara

Post by solara »

Lift the rear seats, and open the carpet flap nearer the passenger side. Peel off the rubber sealing cap, and you will see the fuel sender. Before you attempt to open it up, give it a few light taps, might just free it up, if its stuck.
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by solara</i>

Lift the rear seats, and open the carpet flap nearer the passenger side. Peel off the rubber sealing cap, and you will see the fuel sender. Before you attempt to open it up, give it a few light taps, might just free it up, if its stuck.
tried taping it no luck, disconnected the connector and guage went down.
opened it up but cudnt fully get sender out and there was some tension which seems to be some wire of cable/wire in the tank
still on FULL [:(]
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

I had a similar problem with my 306 DTurbo in the warm weather but now it's cooled down the gauge is working normal again.
It also did it it not long after I bought the car (warm weather time of year) and the garage replaced the sender etc under warranty but it was still the same.
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

You said when you disconnected the gauge went down. If you touch the wire to part of the body work (earth it) does the gauge go back up to full? If so it is pointing to the sender unit.
solara

Post by solara »

To take the fuel sender out, I believ you have to take it out at an angle. Be careful, as you dont want to bend the float arm.
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by solara</i>

To take the fuel sender out, I believ you have to take it out at an angle. Be careful, as you dont want to bend the float arm.
yeah did it yester slowly at an angle and came out
i think i must have loads of air in the fuel system for it to stay at full for a long time