405 ABS sensor?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dvhttn

405 ABS sensor?

Post by dvhttn »

Hi,
I need a new rear ABS sensor on my 405. It's a 1992 pre-facelift model - a GTDT so disks all around. I have a Peugeot parts CD (from Ebay) but am not sure which sensor I have on the car. They list 2 for the early models - 4545-05 and 4545-14. Anyone know which one it should be?
And if you do know - has anyone got one *kocking about* that they would like to flog me? Don't want to pay dealer prices and the local scrappie hasn't got any that are accessible.
Oh, and is it the same as on the Mi16? And other 405s with rear disks of this age?
Cheers
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
What ABS system does your 405 have then? It will be either Bendix or Bosch.
Have a look & report back which system is under your bonnet.
dvhttn

Post by dvhttn »

Ooops! Should have said - it's the 'Additional Bendix' one - according to the Haynes manual ..
Cheers
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
Just out of intrest is it the Bendix hydraulic system without the normal servo under your bonnet?
I shouldnt think it is, Well I hope you havent got this system fitted!
dvhttn

Post by dvhttn »

Hi,
According to Haynes it's the Bendix Additional ABS system. It has the master cylinder and fluid reservoir up under the bottom of thr windscreen and the hydraulic unit behind the off-side headlight. Looking at the picture in the Haynes manual my hydraulic unit is identical to the one they say is the 'Additional' Bendix. So, unless they use the same unit for more than one type that's what I've got ...
Mind you. I'm picking up some brake pipes from Peugeot later so will ask them. In fact I may even ask them to test the ABS and see if their box of tricks can pin point whether it is just the one sensor or there is more than one problem ..
Cheers
dvhttn

Post by dvhttn »

Hi,
Update. Didn't get the ABS tested but ... knew the flexible brake hoses needed doing for the MOT (not all but they were all a bit past it so decided to renew them all) and decided to do them at my leisure rather than wait until I got the failure notice and it was piddling down with rain for days on end ... Decided to firstly do the rear offside which a) did need new hoses b) had the dodgy sensor and c) needed the handbrake mechanism sorted as it has seized on this side (rear disks). So decided to do all the jobs at once (well, except the sensor).
These simple jobs always turn out to be NOT simple at all! I hadn't got new pads because I had checked and they seemed fine. Until I took the wheel off and the outer one was fine but the inner one was nearly down to the metal. Bum! So off to GSF to get new ones (ringing first to make sure they were in!). And the reason for the dodgy pad was one of the sliding pins - it didn't.... Kocked it out and replaced the rust with grease ... Basically the caliper hadn't been moving much, if at all, when the brakes had been used ...
To replace the hose over the axle I needed a 13mm socket to undo its bracket. Except that the only 13mm I had was knacked! And the extension bar was not long enough ... bum and double bum! So off to Halfords and another tenner spent ... This enabled me to get that caliper done at least ..
So, on to today and the first opportunity to test them out, and with nice wet roads. Hey presto, no ABS cutting in at very slow speeds AND a few emergency stops (looking behind first) showed the ABS cutting in as it should! So it may not just be dodgy wiring for ther sensor - it could just be seized calipers. Something to check anyway.
The sensor is still duff as I broke it when I tried to take it out and clean it (originally). But it snapped across the sensor on the *barrel* part. So it sometimes doesn't work but when I get the chance I'll take it apart properly and attempt the old *araldite* trick ... hopefully that and a good clean will save me £150 or wotever ..
Anyhow, sorry for the long post but someone may find it useful ...