possible suspension issues

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

caveman_si
My Cars:

possible suspension issues

Post by caveman_si »

This week all going well im changing the clutch on my car (more like vanny telling me how to change it then doing it himself when my fat fingers get in the way). But once that job is done ive got another little problem i want to look at but need some pointers on.
My car pulls to the left. And the left wheel used to wheel spin a touch more then the right and was told i need new tires. New tires fitted and the spin has gone but the car still pulls to the left but not as much as before. Recently had 2 experince car people in the passanger seat and they both complained of a slight knock in that side of the car.
So where do i start to look? one did mention it felt and sounded like a bush was split/cracked but couldnt be sure not knowing pugs very well.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
Have you checked the top suspension mounting bush & bearing?
Have you checked the wishbone bushes?
Antiroll bar bushes ok?
Checked the droplink bushes?
Also have you checked the engine mountings? Theres one on top of the gearbox under the battery tray, if thats weak the whole left hand side of the power unit will move about under load.
Snapped top engine mountings are not unusual either on the 405 & dont even mention the bottom mount, They are a right weak spot!
If I was a betting man, I would say its either the top suspension mount on its way out or a weak engine mount.
Try & get the car up on a 4 poster ramp with the weight off the front wheels & have a good look & feel of the top suspension mountings on BOTH sides & then check for play in the 3 engine mounts.
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

Cheers Lee
There was me hoping for just one or two simple and easy things too be looking at. But no, you mention atleast 6 things, which can only mean hrs of "fun" trying to find the problem yay!!!
I know about top engine mounts i had the drivers side one snap a few weeks ago. (i convinced vanny to sort it for me as i was about to go on holiday and had no time off to fix and he was shocked at how easy it was to change). so fingers crossed
just one more question how does the engine mounts affect the car pulling to the left?
cheers si
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
If the engine mount on top of the gearbox is weak, The whole left side of the power unit will move about under load, I cant explain why a knackerd mount affects this, But having the whole engine / gearbox assemble lose on one side isn't good for the car.
The top ( no need for Peugeots service tool! ) & gearbox mount are easy to change on the 405, The bottom one is a right sod!
I had 2 x snapped top mounts, replaced 2 gearbox mounts & 3 bottom mounts in 5 years of 405 ownership.
Also if you leave a broken / weak engine mount & dont replace it quickly it will lead to an early death for the other 2 mounts!
Get someone to sit in the drivers seat with the handbrake & footbrake on, With the engine running get them to engage the clutch slowly in 1st & then reverse & have a look to see if the power unit is moving about where it shouldn't be.