Alternator Connectors

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jmwoowar
My Cars:

Alternator Connectors

Post by jmwoowar »

This is following on from an old thread regarding a suspect 106 alternator. The alternator output current was too low to charge the battery or activate the electric power steering pump.
I went to GSF and exchanged the faulty oem Valeo unit for the Hella reconditioned one listed for that model of 106 (V-reg 1.4i Quicksilver) This is the same alternator as used by many Citroen models and has two bolt points for the connectors.
The problem (query) I have is that the car has 1 large ring connector (+ve), while the negative has a 2 pin plug with 1 green and 1 pink wire coming from it.
Would I be right in thinking these are just the negative leads from 2 separate circuits, so I could remove the plug and connect both wires to a single ring, then bolt this to the smaller alternator terminal? This might sound logical, but I'd hate to do some damage to the new alternator, or the car as my girlfriend would kill me! :-)
Any words of wisdom would be very much appreciated.
Thanks.
jmwoowar
My Cars:

Post by jmwoowar »

Just an update on the alternator as I've done som research & brought my alternator knowledge up to date a bit.
I've discovered that the smaller connector is for the 12v alternator field supply (not a -ve as I initially thought). This supply comes on with the ignition switch & livens up the core magnets of the alternator.
With this in mind, I've tested which wire (of the 2) supplies 12v with the ignition on and have connected this to the smaller alternator connector. The car seems to be running ok and the dashboard charge light now stays off when the engine is running.
The second connector wire is taped off, but is still a mystery though.