ABS problem on 405

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dvhttn

ABS problem on 405

Post by dvhttn »

Hi,
Got a 405 GTDT - 1992, pre-facelift model. It has disks all around and Bendix 'Additional' ABS. Now, sometimes the ABS warning light comes on thus no ABS. Not a problem - I'll get around to checking it at some stage - I know one of the rear sensors is knackered ('cos it broke when taking out for a clean ...) but it connects up OK. (The warning light was coming on intermittantly before this as well).
The thing I am interested in fixing is that when the warning light does NOT come on, i.e. it reckons the ABS is working, when coming to a standstill there is the usual ABS *pulsing* through the brake pedal at about 3mph and less.
Any clues what to look at first?
Cheers
Dave
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

This has been covered to quite some extent over this forum, on lots of different PSA cars, with many differing opinions.
The one thing that is for sure, is that this is due to broken wiring, or a dodgey sensor (probably the one you have already highlighted as knackered)
I have a post-facelift 405, which suffers from EXACTLY the same symptoms as yours. I've traced mine to a duff cable to the OSF sensor, which works most of the time, but when turning slightly right, and with the suspension leg in just the right place, then the wire goes intermittent, and you either get an ABS warning lamp (IE, computer thinks it has lost a sensor) or you get ABS pulsing if you are braking at that point in time (IE, computer thinks the wheel has locked, and pulses that wheel)
dvhttn

Post by dvhttn »

Hi,
Thanks for that. I did search (for 'abs') and hadn't seen anything relevant. Seems I'll have to bite the bullet and get a new rear sensor at least. I have to replace the flexible hoses anyway so as I do that I can check the wiring and sensor on each wheel.
Now, to find the time ...... :-)
Cheers
Dave