306 Headlights

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wal750
My Cars:

306 Headlights

Post by wal750 »

I have a '94 306 xtdt. The car has just failed it's MOT for no light pattern on dip beam. It is fitted with 'Garrello' lights with two H1 bulbs.
I have checked the bulbs and they are seated correctly. I believe the problem is being caused by the plastic inserts inside the headlamps which focus the beam. The plastic has gone very 'green'.
I have took them out and scrubbed them with fairy liquid which has improved things but not good enough.
The question is can you buy new ones? Peugeot don't do them but does anyone else? Obviously I could source some new headlamps from a scrappy but are they going to be just as bad?
Another solution could be to fit a different make of headlamp ( with a H4 bulb. Do these fit my car? I'd have to alter the wiring but that wouldn't be too difficult.
Any help/advice appreciated.
Regards, Craig
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Have you checked the price on the on-line shop for GSF? they do sell head lamp units.
ianb
My Cars:

306 headlights

Post by ianb »

A bit late from the original post but have you found a solution to your dim headlights, how did you get the inserts out to clean them? I have the same prob on my 94 306.
Ian
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

This sounds like the Ford Mondeo mk 1 problem,where that has plastic inserts.The original bulbs would have been low UV bulbs,but as the years pass & bulbs are replaced,they are replaced with standard bulbs,where the UV discolours the insert.A lot of mk 1 Mondys fail the MOT for the same reason.
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

My parents just got rid of a 1994 mk 1 Mondeo & that had the headlight yellowing problem.

The issue on the anti UV bulbs is strange, There car was on the ORIGINAL bulbs fitted by Ford on the production line & the headlamps went yellow.
aliGT306

Post by aliGT306 »

hi on the subject of headlights, i'm wanting to update the look of my phase 1 306 by changing the headlights, just want to know if its possible to fit phase 2 lights onto a phase 1?
talking to a bloke at work he said because the only difference is the indicators are separate on phase 1, phase 2 lights should fit with little if any, bodywork needed.
does anyone know if this is true, or is it better just going for a pair of angel eye headlights off ebay?
cheers Ali
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

Alas it's not that easy. Later headlights are more curved and won't fit your wings or bonnet and I believe the mounts are in difference places so you'd need a new front panel. All in all it's not worth it; stick with the originals as they already look great, especially if you've got front fogs. A very stylish nose, IMO 8)