Where is my water going?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nicksuch</i>

Combustion of hydrogen ???? what you got a fuel cell in your motor ?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes, combustion of Hydrogen. Fuel is a hydro-carbon. The carbon combines with oxygen to produce carbon-dioxide (and some carbon monoxide) and the hydrogen combines with oxygen to produce di-hydrogen-oxide, or, water. (H2O) There are a load of other products too, like nitrogen oxides, but the main difference between the gas (air) going into the engine, and the gas coming out is CO2 and H2O
Where do you think all the steam comes from in exhaust gasses? very visible on a cold morning on an engine that has just been started.
Infact the most obvious place to see this is in aircraft exhaust gas. The trail of "cloud" that an airliner leaves behind it is exactly that: large amounts of water in the exhaust condensing and forming cloud.
nicksuch

Post by nicksuch »

where did you lesrn your chemistry? the ladybird book of chemicals for 5 year olds.
I find it ammusing that you assume im thick. the contrails of an aircraft are formed by gally windows being left open, we all know that. and there is still no hydrogen in the combustion of diesel fuel. yes it is a blended hydrocarbon but at no time is the hydrogen released into its pure form, thats as funny as saying water being oxygen and hydrogen is a rather explosive mix.
I think this is what you meant to say :o)
The combustion of diesel is similar to petrol, with the variety of hydrocarbons reacting with oxygen to produce CO2 plus water vapour
Diesel fuels comprise a mixture of paraffinic, aromatic and olefinic hydrocarbons. Diesel is chiefly composed of hydrocarbons containing 12 or more carbon atoms per molecule
so
2C6H14 + 19O2 -> 12CO2 + 14H2O
lots of co2, lots of water and urm no hydrogen ???
well i got my A level chemistry only a bloody B grade though
but hey it got me onto my mech+prod eng course where i seem to remember toching lightly on diesel combustion
whats the saying ? keep silent and let others think you an idiot rather than speak and remove all doubt :o)
oh and ford are still only playing with a hydrogen fuel cell, no production cars as far as i know
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

There's really no need to be rude.
I did not assume you are thick.
My point (which you have confirmed) was that there is a large amount of water vapour in diesel exhaust. I never said that there was Hydrogen in the exhaust. That's entirely your misunderstanding.
During the combustion of diesel fuel, Hydrogen from the Hydrocarbon is indeed released. Your chemical equation confirms it. How else would the "H" get from being in the C6H14 chain to being in the H2O chain? The answer of course is that the C6H14 chain splits into Carbon and Hydrogen which then oxidises to form CO2 and H2O.
And you're not the only one with a degree.
Getting back to the original point, with that much H2O already in the exhaust, you will never be able to tell if there is coolant in there as well or not.
nicksuch

Post by nicksuch »

Utter B********s you stated "the combustion of hydrogen" 3 posts up, no missunderstanding from me
stubbsy

Post by stubbsy »

JESUS EASY ON!!![:0]
farmboy

Post by farmboy »

nicksuch this web site is to help people out not to perform IQ test!!!
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Oh for goodness sake.
Yes, I did say "combustion of hydrogen".
"Oxidation of hydrogen" and "combustion of hydrogen" are in this instance referring the same event. The "H" released from the C6H14 chain, combines with oxygen (oxidises) and generates H2O, as a part of the overall combustion process. Considering that when you burn Hydrogen, this is exactly the same process, I don't think saying "combustion of Hydrogen" was incorrect.
Can we please move on from this?