106 Power Steering quirk

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jmwoowar
My Cars:

106 Power Steering quirk

Post by jmwoowar »

I've been trying to get to the bottom of a problem with a 106 Quicksilver. V-reg 1.4i
Originally the car had developed the idle/stalling problem, characteristic of the idle control valve playing up. I replaced this stepper motor and things seemed to settle down for the next 1500 miles.
Next the powersteering suddenly went really heavy and the battery charge light came on and stayed on bright while the engine was running. The car continued to drive fine (with heavy steering) and the battery didn't go flat as I thought it would. The electric power steering pump now wasn't coming on with the engine running, so I thought this had failed.
I then discovered (in anger) if I blip the throttle and rev the engine above 3500 rpm, the power steering pump then kicks in and the steering feels normal again. To make things stranger, the battery charge light now starts bright at tickover, but gets dimmer the faster the engine revs.
I've drawn a blank with this one and there are no similar forums to help. The illuminated charge light suggests a battery/alternator problem, while the power steering pump failing to kick in at low revs suggests a throttle switch/position sensor problem?
Many thanks
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

Sound like:
1.Alternator brushes worn: hence charge warning light. Will increase charge with revs.
2. Battery oldish and voltage too low to run power steering..
Try switching on all lights and leaving engin to idle. Switch off after 1 hour and leave it. Try to start when cold several hours later. If battery flat = alternator.
(leave until you don't need car).
Or just take to a Fast Fit and ask them to test battery voltage and alternator charging current..
jmwoowar
My Cars:

Post by jmwoowar »

Thanks for the tips Madasafish,
I'll try getting the battery/charge circuit tested asap. Will also try putting a load on the battery as suggested and leave the car idling to see if it not charging properly.
Peter D
My Cars:

Post by Peter D »

Alternator brushes are away so replace them or an exchangh alternator and all will be fine. Regards Peter
jmwoowar
My Cars:

Post by jmwoowar »

Got a reconditioned Hella alternator from GSF, did a bit of modification to the new unit to make the connectors compatible with the car connectors and fitted it...Presto, no more dashboard charge warning lights staying on and the power steering now works all the time.
Thanks for the spot on advice [8)]