405 P/S Steering Rack Gaiter

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Glowplug
My Cars:

405 P/S Steering Rack Gaiter

Post by Glowplug »

Hi,
I was wondering if any members had had to change the N/S steering rack gaiter on a 405 with power steering. The Haynes book says (!) that the job should be taken to a dealer as the rack has to come off. But I've had a reply on another forum that said the job can be done with the rack in situ if you use a flexible aftermarket gaiter, hot water to make the gaiter more flexible and a spoon to protect the gaiter from the power ram stud. This seems feasible but it seems as if the Power Ram at least will need loosing so the Ram's rod can be pulled clear of the rack stud. Has anyone tried it this way? Or can anyone shed any light on disconnecting the Power Ram from the Rack? Also who do members find best for such parts, GSF, Europarts or some other? I've only dealt with GSF up to now.
Thanks.
Steve.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

GSF of course.... Just a word of advice, don't go asking about other spares companies on GSF's website, it isn't good manners [:p]
What you really need to do is trundle on down to your local GSF and ask to see the gaiters so you can have a touchy feely of them to see which one is the softest/most flexible. [:D]