more 106 1995 questions - please help???

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

will16v
My Cars:

more 106 1995 questions - please help???

Post by will16v »

Hi can anyone help?
Where the hell is the gearbox oil plug?
Was putting wishbones back on last nite, as had ball joints done, and noticed a fair bit of gearbox oil on the floor where the driveshaft had come out a bit...!
Also, car failed M.O.T on back brakes - saying not enough brake pressure on o/s/r & n/s/r wheels...
Handbrake is spot on - could this be brake shoes or wheel cylinders?
Also, how do i get the hubs off??
There are two gold/bronze caps in the centre - do i chisel these off and should there be a bolt or something underneath? - stuck now - cars in bits and not sure where to go!!!!!!!!!![xx(]
Did the front brakes last night - new pads, hoses, bled brakes etc, and looked as if they hadn't been touched for some time..
any help much appreciated, going out in a min to take a look at the back brakes - try and get it m.o.t'd today then if i can fix!!!!!
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
The filler / level plug is most likely on the end plate of the gearbox behind the passenger side wheel arch shield, Normally the bolt is halfway up on the casing & a different size to the other bolts.
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

The filler plug is near the front of the gearbox, at higher end and consists of a square section indented plug. You need a square section wrnench to undo it.
To remove the rear hubs, there is a metal dust cap which fits into the ends of the hubs . prise this out with a screwdriver : if very careful you could re-use but better to replace it.Then you will find the hub nut. You will need a cold chisel to relieve the staking on the nut to enable you to turn it. You should replace that too.
I found rear wheel cylinders last approximately 7-8 years and then start leaking. But you may be lucky and just need new shoes.
I recommend a Haynes manual - (sh on ebay). They are very good on the 106 imo.. If you do not have one, take VERY careful note of the brake and shoe/spring layout and draw diagrams of each side before dismantling.
It's quite easy to do: if I can so can any moderately competent DIYer.
samcro

Post by samcro »

Yep. The driveshafts aren't held into the gearbox by anything except the wheel hub. Drain and filler plugs are near the front of the 'box on the passenger side next to the wheelarch. They will need a square wrench to undo (which can be bodged from an old allen key with a grinder [:p]). I found that a bit of garden hose and a funnel did the trick for refilling as the filer hole is nt too easily accessible. Fill it up to the hole. The whole thing takes about 2litres of oil.
I guess you've got drum brakes on the rear?
Oh, forgot to say, the hub nut under the dust cover will be pretty tight and needs a fairly big socket to undo (30mm if I remember right) Loosen it slightly with the car on its wheels before jacking it up. But.. if you slacken it right off then the bearing can get damaged when the weight of the car is on that wheel.