how to make a diesel quieter

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

b21playa

how to make a diesel quieter

Post by b21playa »

well my DTurbo's got the uual tractor noise but how can i make it sound more smoother
its had an oil and oil filter chnage not long ago (2k miles)
what else can be done?
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

Turn the radio up.[:I]
moomin

Post by moomin »

theres stuff you can buy to add to the oil when you do a change to make it less rattley, i dont have a clue as to whether or not it works though...
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

You can also get sound deadening kits to fit in the engine bays of many cars, see usual mags for adverts.
Veg oil will also make it sound smoother, so you may want to have a look at the tax-paid ones such as global-diesel ( ie. all the bio-diesel 5% or more blends ) available from filling stations / fuel suppliers.
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Rustproofing front wheel arches and inner wings etc, with gunk like Waxoyl, deadens engine noise. It's made a real diffence to my Xsara. Worth doing if you intend to keep the car for a while.
samcro

Post by samcro »

Newer VW group cars (VW, Audi, Seat Skoda...) have fabric matting stuck to the inside of the bonnet, a foam backed 'lid' covering the cam head and an 'eggcrate' backed panel underneath the entire engine bay. All this does a lot to deaden the noise. I guess the main thing to watch out for if putting stuff in yourself is that you don't block up or restrict any cooling by doing it.
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

Is it more noiser that other 306DTurbos? if so the timing could be slightly advanced out making it knock. If not then are you concerned with cold starts or just normal running?
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

I put sound deadening felt on the underneath of wife's 106 diesel. Impact? negligible...
samcro

Post by samcro »

I'd say that putting it under the engine bay would make more of a difference as it's otherwise completely open and the sound reflects up off the road.
stubbsy

Post by stubbsy »

would that not retain the heat from the engine bay?its hard enough tryin to keep forced cold air onto the top mounted intercooler in this weather. throw a tin of injector cleaner into the tank.better still (forget the name of it) a tin of the stuff you put directly into the fuel filter housing.think it may be the molly slip brand,not sure (will post up when i remember it)but did the world of good for me. also,check that its not "chatter" from a worn and dry alternator belt.give a squirt of wd and c.
kid
My Cars:

Post by kid »

buy a petrol!
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Who wants a petrol when you have a nice torquey powerful turbo diesel [:p][:D]
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Try adding two litres of sunflower cooking oil when you fill up.. It makes mine run quieter.. [;)] [^]
solara

Post by solara »

I just added 50% veg oil/50% diesel and it runs just as smooth and quieter. PS mines is a turbo diesel with bosch pump and 130K+ on the clock. Will try upping the ratio to 70/30 next.
moomin

Post by moomin »

does it have to be sunflower oil, or can any vegetable oil do?