405 TD - oil in boost pressure sensor

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pettitam
My Cars:

405 TD - oil in boost pressure sensor

Post by pettitam »

I've just bought a low mileage 1996 405 TD estate to replace my older high mileage one. However, the new one is pretty gutless compared to the old one. It's like teh turbo isn't working.
Having looked at various forums, websites, I've read about checking all the pipes, filters, etc. which all appear to be okay. I know that oil residue in the intercooler is normal, however, the pipe that goes to the pressure sensor on the (Lucas) pump was full of oil? There is also some oil in the airfilter box - not much though. I've cleaned all the oil out but it hasn't helped. Could the sensor be damaged? Can it be removed and cleaned/serviced? Or is this also normal and I'm barking up the wrong tree/pipe?!!
Thanks.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Oil in the air filter housing is pretty normal in my experience, always in one corner. This is due to the poor design of the breather/oil separator which is not a particularly effective separator! A modicum of oil will get in the boost pressure sensor pipe and conceivably if the diaphragm housing in the pump were full of oil then it may well stop working. Try sucking gently on the pump boost pressure spigot to see if any oil comes out. I once had a brake servo half full of brake fluid that markedly reduced its performance. I sucked it out using an old SU electric fuel pump and it was then OK.
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

If you have checked all the pipes maybe you need to just give it an italian tune up (decent thrash) to clear out the engine and turbo possible using some injector cleaner of your choice. If its low milage and not been driven hard it could be coked up. Also you say u have checked the filters. Its worth changing all 3 (air fuel and oil) they are not expensive and the difference is amazing. when i do change mine its like i have a new car :)