Exhaust Fitting

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ezee_duzit
My Cars:

Exhaust Fitting

Post by ezee_duzit »

Hi, I have a 306 1.8 16v XS (99)rear box snapped off last night just phoned round a few garages they want about £110 fitted, spoke with this company who just supply the part and they can get it for me at £31.14!! How easy are they to fit and what would I need? Might save me a few quid.
Cheers
EZ
will16v
My Cars:

Post by will16v »

These are easy to fit - just need the new back box, another clamp, maybe another mounting rubber - check urs(should be ok), and some exaust paste sealant...
Just a case of undoing the rear clamp that holds the back box and mid pipe in place - might be stuck together with all that heat and dirt if been on there for ages - nothing a hammer & chisel won't fix! But DON'T smash up the mid pipe - u may end up forking out for one of those too...
Take the old one off, and you will see how the new one goes on - pretty strait forward - when you mount the new box, put some exaust putty sealant on the inner seal of the mid pipe, and back box, hang them on the rubbers that hold the system to the chasis, and tighten up the exasut clamp - tight!
I put some sealant on the outside too for good measure - stops and blowing probs if you get a bit on...
ezee_duzit
My Cars:

Post by ezee_duzit »

Cheers Will16v, just had another look under my car, the rest of the system looks pretty corroded but no holes! As I'm replacing the back would it be worth doing the rest? Would the running of the car benefit from replacing the cat and middle pipe with the back box?
Any ideas on how much this would cost, as I know the cat is expensive!
Cheers
EZ
will16v
My Cars:

Post by will16v »

Depends on how bad the system is - and how many bits it comes in - i think yours may be 4 piece - manifold/cat/mid/back box - some have mid and cat as one unit i think - cats are pretty expensive...check the place where you got quoted for the back box - might be a good price you never know...
To be honest, if it isnt broken, don't fix it!!!But thats just me
Unless your going to replace with a full magnex/scorpion/ansa stainless steel grade 303 space shuttle melt down rally sports + 30bhp job, and you want to upgrade it anyway - if your into that type of thing javascript:insertsmilie('[8D]')
Cool [8D]
A full replacement system will sound really smooth and nice for a while, worth it i suppose if you have the cash - smoother sounding but you will have to unbolt the manifold (if you replace the whole system + all gaskets) from the cylinder head - tricky in the space peugeot have given you to work in!! check out a haynes if you have one
I would rather spend cash on something else and buy a new exaust system when the current one falls off [8D]
But i am driving a 96 306 diesel - not 99 1.8 xs -
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

That price is very cheap for a rear box for your spec. It sounds more like the price for the non 16v which uses a different box. Bosal's RRP for the 16v is £171.78, and the non 16v is £51.14, pre discounts.