Dud Brakes

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

samcro

Dud Brakes

Post by samcro »

Recently the brakes on my 106 have lost some of their stopping power. It's not the pads as the rear ones were replaced not that long ago and I've replaced the front ones thinking that this was the problem.
With the engine off the brake pedal feels firm and normal with resistance building up as pressure is applied. With the engine on (and presumably the vacuum servo assisting it) the pedal becomes a lot softer with much more travel. Whilst driving, the brakes are soft and unresponsive but still enough pressure can be developed in the system to start locking the wheels up in an 'emergency' stop. This requires quite a lot of force on the brake pedal. I've noticed that rapid pumping of the pedal seems to build up pressure in the system and the braking response is a bit sharper immediately after this, but soon dies away again.
I had similar symptoms to this when one of the brake linings in the rear drum came loose, allowing excess travel in that cylinder. Replacing the shoes sorted it and the brales worked fine for some time after, until this happened.
Any ideas?
Linchpin

Post by Linchpin »

Airlock / Low fluid in the System?
samcro

Post by samcro »

Forgot to add...
At about the same time that this problem arose I noticed an increase in the handbrake lever travel and that the front brakes seem to be partially on all the time. If one of the front wheels is jacked up then it takes a bit of force to turn the wheel and it won't spin freely.
Any easy way to check for airlocks? I guess low fluid can be checked by a low master reservoir level?
jameshughes

Post by jameshughes »

If it requires a lot of force to spin the wheel(with car out of gear) when the car is on jacks without the brakes on it sounds as if the caliper is siezed.
You will know if its really bad if the wheel smells and feels hot compared to the others.
it will be the caliper sliding bolts stuck and in need of grease or the caliper piston needs attention. In which case its a caliper off job and a probably a seal kit to fix.