EGR Pipe

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

benizioni

EGR Pipe

Post by benizioni »

The egr pipe on my 1.9 td 406 is missing, Can this effect performance, reliability, as one mechanic said it eas fine to leave it! What does it actualy do??????
macaroni
My Cars:

Post by macaroni »

It recirculates a small percentage of exhaust gasses back into the inlet manifold.
Best thing you can do is leave it off. I was advised by a Lucas engineer to leave it off as it clogs up the inlet manifold and sure enough when I removed the plastic part of the manifold (I had a 2.1td) it was full of black goo).
I kept removing mine and the garage who serviced it kept replacing it.
samcro

Post by samcro »

I had problems with the EGR activation switch on my 106. I disconnected the switch (causing the EGR valve to stay shut, ie system inactive) and no problems to the engine. There is a minor performance increase with it off, but then it's only meant to come on with the accelerator at idle position. The switch is meant to turn it on/off with accelerator position but it was sometimes staying on, hitting the performance a bit.
benizioni

Post by benizioni »

How can I disconnect the switch??
samcro

Post by samcro »

On the 106 the EGR system is controlled by a switch on the injector pump housing. A cam attrached to the throttle lever opens/closes the switch depending on throttle position. This is the switch that I disconnected, as with it open-circuit the EGR valve is shut. This switch activates a solenoid valve that then allows vacuum from the brakes to open/close the EGR valve. The valve is by the inlet manifold and links it to the exaust manifolds. Not sure what the 406 has but it could well be the same.
The EGR is only meant to be active when the car is idling, so you won't see any appreciable performance increase, since the engine isn't really developing much power. On my car it was coming on randomly at any throttle setting so the performance hit was more noticable. To check this out I wired a toggle switch in to the plug and ran wires through to the cabin. Took the car for a spin and flicked the switch on and off. I guess the performance loss was about 10% with it on.
Macaroni. Some of the black goo could have been oil as the crank case vent pipe usually feeds back into the inlet manifold. Any gasses that leak past the cylinder rings into the crank case are normally vented back into the inlet manifold. On my 106 this vent is at the top of the cam cover and feeds in just before the EGR valve. Inevitably a little of the oil will splash up and get blown down the vent pipe.