ATE Teves guide pins

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jameshughes

ATE Teves guide pins

Post by jameshughes »

My brothers 306 series 1 TD has ate teves calipers on the front.
the drivers side disk has warped.
I think it is because the guide pins (what the caliper slides on) are worn and are slightly bent themselves.
Unfortunatly they do not seem to be on the pug parts list(i have a copy my self and they arnt in the exploded diagram)- dealer said you have to buy the complete caliper.
My brother brought a remanufacured caliper but on opening the box they werent in it.
Has anybody any idea where to get these pins from as its pointless changing the disks until the pins are replaced.
do they come as part as a kit or are called something else. Am i missing the obvious......?
Cheers
James
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Do the pins have a torx head?
My Xsara has ATE Teves calipers, and I'm amazed the pins would bend, they look to be made of a cro-mo type metal. Can the caliper slide on these bent pins?
If these pins are having an effect, I think you'd notice uneven pad wear.
If the pads are wearing normally, I rekon the disks have warped due to heat soak - caused by not releasing the brakes after coming to a halt.
If the pads are left in contact after slowing down, the part of the disk in contact with the pads cannot cool as quickly as the rest of the disk - which causes a distortion.
jameshughes

Post by jameshughes »

The pins do have a torx head on them.
Theyhave general wear on them and if you roll them across a level surface there is a definite slight banana shape to the way they move.
I think the caliper has been stuck at some stage as the pads and disks had been replaced by previous owner.
The new pads are looked ok but the disk is out of true.
I think the pins have soaked some heat as well hence them being out of true- and this is what is causing the disk to warp as the pads arnt gripping the disk square.
The caliper is free to move now but the pins had no grease on them-however they do sit in a plastic/rubber bush so this probably isnt criticle- i have give them a light greasing just in case.
jameshughes

Post by jameshughes »

update:Peugeot do not stock the pins themselves only the bush- what a laugh that is.
On the ATE online catalogue there is no pin only the bushes,and no contact info to talk to them directly. Surely in all the peugeots and citroens running around with ATE brakes somebody has had to replace the pins, somebody must have manufactured the first ones- or did the tooth fairy fit them!Any help sourcing the pins would be great.
dvhttn

Post by dvhttn »

Tried a breakers? Get them for pennies and you should be able to tell if they're bent or not ..
Cheers