help, big problems with 306 HDI

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paul_hdi
My Cars:

Post by paul_hdi »

Hey there,
to be honest, when we filled the car up with water, all we did was put antifreeze in the little tank near the radiator, then add water from the hose until it was full up, ran the car for a little bit, topped it up, ran the car further, topped it up a bit more, and then all was fine.
Note that in between filling the car with water, the engine temperature was under the red, and fans were kicking in.
So I dunno, yesterday we took off the thermostat to check water was getting in, and there was no airlocks, but the engine still continued in the same way :(
cheers,
Paul
paul_hdi
My Cars:

Post by paul_hdi »

Hey people,
I have confirmed my worse fears, by taking the cam cover off,
please feel free to comment on what further damaged could be been caused by the breakeage of this part,
Again, many thanks to all of those who have offered advice and replied to my posts.
Ironically I filled in some online forms for reconditioned engines, so lets see...
Pictures below(3):
cheers,
Paul[V]
paul_hdi
My Cars:

Post by paul_hdi »

Hey there,

Been a little busy this afternoon, went to see the parents

Anyways, cheers for the advice, will check the valves to see if they line up the same, from a glance they all look alright, even the hydraulic tappet which was located under the broken rocker.

But I think I will replace that one as a matter of precaution along with the rocker.

I have taken some pictures of the engine block with the camshaft housing off.

The camshaft seems to be in a flawless state, i.e. all the oval/egg shaped bits are still perfectly formed, no strange scuffs or deformation, so that all looks cool.

Here are the images:
We haven't taken the engine head off yet, but it all seems fine so far. But we will take the head off tomorrow, and go from there.

As for the timing belt tension gauge, I saw one on ebay, A Haynes one but it has 6 days to go and current bid is £0.99, so that will rocket.

However I am having trouble located Haynes' own tools, i.e. a website or catalogue, do any of you know where I could enquire for these?

cheers,

Paul :)
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
I think you would be far better off taking this to a Peugeot / Citroen dealer or another garage that knows about HDIs.
I can see this ending in expensive tears if you carry on.
Bite the bullet a get EXPERT help!
As a side note, My Peugeot technician friend also said this is the best case of self inflicted damage to a HDI he has seen yet.
paul_hdi
My Cars:

Post by paul_hdi »

Hey there,
I will most probably get somebody to do the timing, but as for the analysis of the engine, I think we can cope with that. What happened with the engine was unfortunate.
The information/timing procedure we followed was from Autodata 2003. The autodata procedure entails timing for the later revision of the HDI engine (camshaft sproket with large center bolt) and not the earlier version (camshaft sproket with one large center bolt and three smaller bolts).
One my engine, it required the slackening of the bolts to tension the belt properly with a manual tensioner, whereas the later revision engine has an automatic tensioner.
Thats where I think we went wrong, cos the engine was time correctly, just the belt was not tensioned tight enough, due to not performing the correct procedure.
As for the damage, we don't know the full extent as of yet, however it is looking like I have been lucky, with only a broker rocket and possibly a hydraulic tappet.
We'll see eh,
cheers,
Paul
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

Hopefully the rockers in that engine are the weakest link, otherwise your looking at bent valve stems and possible piston crown damage, and as a remote possibility, even conrod and big end damage too, but looking at the thickness of the rockers, i think you will have probably got away with just rocker damage here as they are moderatly thin for the job they do
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I know it shouldn't, but
"As a side note, My Peugeot technician friend also said this is the best case of self inflicted damage to a HDI he has seen yet."
made me laugh.
Sorry, Paul. Hope you get it sorted without too much more drama. You seem remarkably calm given the situation, but then I suppose you are where you are and you've just got to make the best of it!
paul_hdi
My Cars:

Post by paul_hdi »

its cool, no worries [:D]