405 heater and air con queries.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dvhttn

405 heater and air con queries.

Post by dvhttn »

Hi,
Got a 405 1.8 TD (pre-facelift). The heater and air con seem to work OK apart from a couple of niggling issues and I thought I'd ask you lot if there were a case of *they all do that sir* or whether they were really *little niggles* ...!
a) the heater temp. control seems to go from hot to cold, or vice versa, with just single click of the rotary control. Sometimes you get the temp correct then a few minutes later you have to turn it back/forward several clicks to get it right again. These would seem to point to dodgy control of the flaps in the heater controls. Anyone any comments?
b) when the air con is on I see to get what seems to be the odd *misfire* on a steady throttle (like a m'way). Anyone else come across this or know what could be causing it?
Thanks in advance
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

The "Misfire" you are feeling is infact the aircon compressor clutch engaging. As it's an electromagnetic clutch, it's quite a thump, and hence you can feel it. Most noticeable at 30/40 mph constant speed. This is a "they all do that, and nothing to worry about"
As for the climate control... it sounds like either the circulator fan isn't working on the temperature sensor, or the box-o-tricks has gone a bit bananas, and isn't controlling properly. With the engine off, as you turn the heater from cold to hot (increasing demand temperature) you should be able to hear/see the heater flap moving further and further to the "hot" position (this is just about visible in the drivers footwell)
Am interested in the model of 405 you have, as a pre-facelift 1.8TD with Aircon is a rare beast indeed. Is this a GTDT model?
David.
dvhttn

Post by dvhttn »

Thanks for the reply. Yep, it is a GTDT. Seems to have all the *extras* needed! Got a mate with a post-facelift without aircon. AND he's done about 250K miles like that - brave man ....
Air con - thanks for confirming that. Just nice to know that it isn't a problem....
Heater - I did a search before I posted which is why I mentioned the flap. I'll take a look later - thanks for the info.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
As FastandFurryous said, The heater temp control motor is reached from the drivers footwell, Its behind the trim on the centre consul, A bit of a sod to get at.
It looks like this ( It should have 5 wires in the plug ) Its held on by 2 x screws & It will have a plastic gear on the shaft connecting it to the heater.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/ ... eMotor.jpg
Theres several different versions of this control motor used by Peugeot & Citroen, They all look the same from the outside, But its the PCBs & connector plugs that are different.
A brand new one from Peugeot is £120.
The main heater control box is located right up behind the dash on the passenger side, Its right behind the glovebox & a pig to get at, Normally you get dry solder joints on the PCB inside these causing problems, A touch up with a soldering iron normally restores things back to normal.
The cabin temp sensor is behind that small grill above the glovebox, Pop the grill off & gently blow the dust off the sensor, Make sure the little fan is humming away with the ignition on.
Have you noticed any strange annoying clicking noises from behind the glovebox area?
Theres plenty of Peugeots & Citroens in the scrapyard to get bits off if you need replacement parts, The main dealer is best avoided at all costs because the prices will bring tears to your eyes.
The series 2 405 has basically the same aircon set up, Most of the parts are interchangeable but the control panel is different though.
dvhttn

Post by dvhttn »

Ta for the info Powerlee. I may be able to take a look this weekend.
No clicks from the glovebox area - some from the drivers side though. Not narrowed them down to anything in particular ...
Cheers
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
If you have a constant whirring or clicking from the control motor then thats the problem, Stripped gears are a very common problem with these.
When you move the heater temp setting dial the control motor should then make the adjustment to the heaters temp output.
You should hear the control motor whirring away for a few seconds as it adjusts the temp, You should also get the odd small noise from it every once in a while as it fine tunes the temp as the cabin sensor picks up the information & feeds it back to the aircon ECU & it adjusts itself.