XUD Cambelt problem

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rdj104

XUD Cambelt problem

Post by rdj104 »

Hi,
Hope someone can give me some ideas.
Got a Rover 218, with the Peugeot XUD engine in it.
Had the car in bits this weekend to change cambelt and crankshaft oil seal. Had to drain the cooling system in the process too. Followed the Haynes instructions completely.
After putting it back together again, ran fine on drive for 5 minutes, went for drive down road, 2 miles later oil light starts flashing and water temperature went right up. Discovered cambelt has half come off to the side and was melting the plastic covers.
Any idea why the cambelt would move to the side like that. Guess I did something wrong. Engine timing is definitely correct.
Cheers
Rich
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Try asking the same question in the Citroen forum - there are more readers there.
A couple of things spring to mind.
Belt too loose
Bottom pulley not fitted correctly
If the engine is overheating, so long as the belt hasn't come off of the water pump sprocket (which is unlikely) then it looks like the cooling system needs a good bleeding to expunge some trapped air.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

I'm more concerned about the oil light flashing. It sounds suspiciously like something has gone majorly wrong at the pulley end of the crankshaft, as that's where the oil pump is driven from, and that's also likely to be what's caused the belt to move. Did you remember to refit the centre bolt & washer in the pulley? how about the woodruff keys? I think you may need to pull things apart again.
rdj104

Post by rdj104 »

Hi,
Yes I refitted that bolt and washer, with loctite on it and torqued it to 40Nm + 60 degrees as per the Haynes instructions. Woodruff keys never came out.
From what I've read and other people have suggested looks like, time to take it all apart again, replace water pump, tensioner pulleys and try again. And work out how to bleed the cooling system this time, as it obviously doesn't self bleed like my Corsa used to.
My first instinct said maybe bottom pulley as that is I believe the only thing that stops the belt from moving sideways.