Pug 406 1.9td P reg Smoke problem

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dartrader
My Cars:

Pug 406 1.9td P reg Smoke problem

Post by Dartrader »

Hi all, I have a intermitant problem. When the car has stood at a junction or traffic lights as I pull away it emits a lot of blue smoke from the exhaust. This quickly clears. During tickover I get no smoke nor does it smoke during driving. If I let it tickover for 30 seconds and give it a gentle blip on the throttle it smokes like hell. I have some days when it does not smoke at all. It has now coverd 161,000 miles and has had 6000 mile oil/ filter changes. Fuel and air filters are changed before they are due. The car drives great no problems. Could it be valve guide seals or maybe a breather?. Does any one know what the regulator does on the side of the air pipe near the air filter. The other end of the pipe coming out of it goes down to the oil fill case. It had allowed some engine oil to enter the air pipe. Thanks for any advice.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

My old 205 used to do exactly what you have just described, it turned out to be the valve stem seals. Another thing worth checking would be all the intercooler (eg high pressure air system) hoses and pipes are ok, no signs of cracking or collapsing. Remove the hose connecting the intercooler to the manifold and check for big puddles of oil, a light covering is normal, but if it pours out this points to the turbo oil seals.
Does it use much oil between services?
Dartrader
My Cars:

Post by Dartrader »

Hi rossd, thanks for your reply. I have already checked the turbo / intercooler pipes and they have a light coating of oil as can be expected. The oil level never drops more than 1/4 inch (5mm) between changes. I have had two day in a row now with no smoke. Looks like I'll be doing the valve seals when the cam belt is due, 10,000 miles time. Any one got any more experience of this nature. Thanks
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

This does sound very much like it is the valve stem seals, although it *could* also be worn oil conrol rings. When I had the head reconditioned on my 405TD, I opted to have the earlier valve guides fitted, which don't have stem seals on them. This means that mine smokes a little bit after extended idleing too. However, I now know that my valve guides are being lubricated. The later engines with stem seals do suffer from faster wear in the guides than the earlier ones. (This coming from my engine reconditioner blokey who has seen literally thousands of these heads over the 20 years he's been working on them)
Dartrader
My Cars:

Post by Dartrader »

Thanks fastandfurryous for your input. My mate has suggested I try using an oil additive such as Wynns stop smoke. I have no idea if these products realy work. Also advised to change to a thicker oil. I am using 15W 40 semi synthetic made by Comma at the moment. Any thoughts or experiences would be welcome. Had another smokey day yesterday, but no smoke today. Thanks in advance.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

15W-40 is the correct spec for this engine, but semi-synthetic is probably a bit of the overkill. I've only ever used 15W-40 mineral oil, and as long as it gets changed every 5k, then no problem.
I've never tried any oil additives so can't comment on that, although I have seen some reports of engine damage from addatives that have PTFE in them. Tread carefully.
Personally, I would just change the engine oil every 5k and not worry about it. At least you know that your valve guides are getting some lubrication! (although if it is worn rings, this will get worse and will need sorting)
David.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Run away from any additives. The stop smoke one "works" by filling your engine with treacle, which isn't something you'd normally think of doing....
Apart from the smoke, your engine seems good. Pouring in random fluids is unlikely to help.
Dartrader
My Cars:

Post by Dartrader »

Thanks for all your replies. I think I'll just see how it goes, it has not smoked for a few days now. Don't like the sound of the stop smoke remedy. Yes I would agree the engine does seem to be alright apart from the intermitant smoking. I'll see how it goes. Thanks.
turbolag

Post by turbolag »

Oil level too high, even fractionally, can cause this on XUDs.
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

I've got the same problem on my Trooper and my mate's Mehari does it too. Valve stem seals the suspect in both cases although the oil is a little high in the Troop. Both have been running fine for many, many miles so if the MOT man is happy to give it a ticket, I wouldn't worry. Just hope they don't leave it sitting too long before the smoke test!