water leaking

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

b21playa

water leaking

Post by b21playa »

was driving to uni the other day and parked the car up and then realised there was coolant leaking from the drier side, looked just behind the foglight.
at that point i opend the onnet and checked the rad which still had water in it.
as i was in a hurry i had a look later when the rad was totally empty. i toppe up the water, drove hom and parked it up.
next day tpped up water and left it for a day and water still theref full.
now never has my car overheated or gone over 90 degrees but has has slow coolant loss over month or so
i came home today to hear that someone has looked at it and rekons its water pump.
what u rekon it cud be and how much to repair. i was meant to be putting it up for sale
BTW its a phase1 DTurbog
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

just been told water came out of overflow pipe and its head gasket gone
wat u rekn it will cost?
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by b21playa</i>

wat u rekn it will cost?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Ahem. "Plain English, NON-Textspeak Forum". It says so at the top left of the page!
Head gasket on a 1.9TD engine can cost anything from £100 for a bodge-job, to £500 for a proper engine rebuild. In my opinion it's woth changing the Timing belt at the same time, and if you've got that off, it's worth changing the water pump, and probably the tensioners too. To do this job properly needs:
Head gasket : £30 ish
Head set : £25 ish
Head skim : £40 (well, it is at the local place to me)
Timing belt : £20
Water pump : £30
Tensioners : £40
Labour : 5-6 hours?
All these prices are NOT from the GSF site, they are estimates from memory. 5-6 hours is what you would pay to have the job done at a garage, or you can save this and do it yourself (although it's likely to take more than 6 hours if you've never done it before)
The £100 bodge-job is not recommended, as I've seen what some garages do.. they just undo the head bolts, slide out the old gasket, slide the new one in, and do up the head bolts. Guaranteed to fail again in the very near future.
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fastandfurryous</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by b21playa</i>

wat u rekn it will cost?
Ahem. "Plain English, NON-Textspeak Forum". It says so at the top left of the page!
Head gasket on a 1.9TD engine can cost anything from £100 for a bodge-job, to £500 for a proper engine rebuild. In my opinion it's woth changing the Timing belt at the same time, and if you've got that off, it's worth changing the water pump, and probably the tensioners too. To do this job properly needs:
Head gasket : £30 ish
Head set : £25 ish
Head skim : £40 (well, it is at the local place to me)
Timing belt : £20
Water pump : £30
Tensioners : £40
Labour : 5-6 hours?
All these prices are NOT from the GSF site, they are estimates from memory. 5-6 hours is what you would pay to have the job done at a garage, or you can save this and do it yourself (although it's likely to take more than 6 hours if you've never done it before)
The £100 bodge-job is not recommended, as I've seen what some garages do.. they just undo the head bolts, slide out the old gasket, slide the new one in, and do up the head bolts. Guaranteed to fail again in the very near future.
sorry for bad english
i only need it fixing as i wanted to sell it.
i was thinking changing belt, pump, gasket