Peugeot 306 water loss

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ianb
My Cars:

Peugeot 306 water loss

Post by ianb »

'94 Pug306 xldt, recently the fan's have been coming on even on a normal run, temp gauge doesn't (yet?) go above halfway but when I take the rad cap off the system sucks in air as if it's been holding a vacuum, and needs topping up with about a pint of coolant/week.
The oil seems clean, there's no muck under the oil filler cap and no leaks to the ground that I can see.
Any ideas greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Is the suction noise when you take the rad cap off with the engine hot, or after it has cooled?
I *think* you may have an airlock somewhere, which is restricting flow. My concern is that if the airlock is around the coolant temperature sender, then it won't be reporting the correct temperature to you, so the engine may be overheating without you knowing about it.
Try bleeding the system at every single high-point you can find. I think you may find a fair bit of air.
Is the heater output good? poor heater output can be an indication of airlocks, but doesn't necessarily go hand in hand.
ianb
My Cars:

Post by ianb »

It did this first thing in the morning when the engine was stone cold,
I'm assuming vaccuum only because it felt as if I had to pull to get the radiator cap off, looking at other posts I think the 306 has a pressurised system so perhaps it's not that, I'll have a look at bleeding the system at the weekend,
cheers
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ianb</i>

I think the 306 has a pressurised system
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
All cars with water cooled engines have a pressurised system! It prevents the coolant boiling until about 115degreesC
ianb
My Cars:

Post by ianb »

I typed without really thinking - but it was 6:30 in the morning,
I'm probably not making a good job of explaining,
-I know cooling systems are pressurised but even with a cold engine there's more reaction than normal when I take the cap off, it may be just a tight seal but I definately have to give it a tug to pull the cap off the radiator, On my 406 the cap seems to just come off easily wih a cold engine and there's no air noise at all.