309 anti-roll bar bushes creaking

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

SteveP

309 anti-roll bar bushes creaking

Post by SteveP »

After replacing the track control arms, the bushes which locate the front anti-roll bar on the subframe started creaking when going over speed bumps. I tried lubricating them with Halfords rubber and nylon lubricant spray but it hasn't helped, in fact I think it's made it worse. Any ideas? As the bar rotates should it slide round in the bore of the bush, or does it work by distorting the bush as it rotates? Is it easy to change the bushes? Haynes manual says release clamp bolts and remove clamps but there doesn't seem to be enough space to remove the clamps.
Any suggestions appreciated.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

The bushes work by deforming as the bar rotates. If the bushes are not gripping the bar, then they are indeed worn out. Changing them isn't easy, but is possible.
SteveP

Post by SteveP »

Thanks for the reply. I've now changed the bushes and the creaking has stopped. It was necessary to lower the subframe by a couple of inches, but that wasn't too difficult. Also I degreased the bar and clamps before fitting the new bushes. To buy new bushes check the colour of the old bushes and the diameter of the anti-roll bar, as there are several sizes with different colour codes.