405 clutch cable dislocating itself from pedal

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

flux
My Cars:

405 clutch cable dislocating itself from pedal

Post by flux »

1989 1.6 Peugeot 406
For those that aren't familiar with the 405 clutch pedal, it has a plastic socket that the clutch cable end feeds into and is then secured with a metal clip
The problem i'm getting is generally from standstill ie 1st and reverse when you put the pedal to the floor, the cable slips through the cable end clip, dislocating itself from the pedal, if i lift the pedal up by hand it clicks back in. Could this be as simple as just a sticking cable (it doesn't happen all the time) or does something more sinister lurk within the clutch.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
It sounds like the metal clip is about to let go & leave you with no clutch.
Try fitting a new plastic pedal stop & metal clip, Your talking less then £5 for both bits at a Peugeot dealer.
The fun parts fitting it, Its a bit of a fiddle to do, Some long needle nose pliers are a god send with this job.
flux
My Cars:

Post by flux »

Thanks PowerLee, i should have mentioned that i'd already changed this but still get the problem, incidently, i found the easiest way to fit the new clip was to completely remove the bolt holding the clutch and brake pedal to their bracket.
still busing it to work :(
flux
My Cars:

Post by flux »

a new clutch cable appears to have cured this, some wear to the bullet end of the cable and slight stickiness between the cable and it's outercover hopefully was the cause of the problem.
it's back up and running in the flux household :)