405 cam belt

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

The reason it's recommended to time the engine with bolts is because if you remove the belt without any bolts through the sprockets, they are likely to spring round to their "relaxed" positions.
This is a pain, as you then have to use a spanner on the centre bolt to get them back round to the right place, and hold them there while you get the belt on. Both the camshaft and the injection pump are likely to do this.
Both Peugeot and Citroen recommend using the timing bolts, and I have to agree that this is the safest (and in my opinion easiest) way to do it. The consequences of getting it wrong are rather serious!
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

SSM - beware, I rekon arry b is a bit talented with the spanners, my first cambelt took me a full day, and I was knackered by the end.
A tip from me, locking the flywheel with a rod is extremely tight, you have to get your hand up behind the starter motor and grope around for a hole in the engine block.
Then you have to turn the engine to line up a hole in the flywheel so you can lock it with the rod. Doing it by yourself means lying on your back, one hand turning the offside wheel, other hand holding rod in place until it locks.
It would help a great deal to have a helper turning the roadwheel.
To lock the flywheel, I use an 8mm (I think it's 8mm) drill bit, cut in half, with a zip-tie 'handle' so it's easier to push in and out.
Once you've done a cambelt, you're a man amongst boys. Although it won't impress your wife!
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Quick tip for the flywheel locking bar. Get an long M8 bolt, and cut the head and threads off, so you are left with a length of 8mm shank. Grind one end into a blunt point, and then either weld or somehow attatch the other end to a length of stiff rod (I used an old wiper link bar). Make the joint between the 8mm bar and the rod at about 120deg, and you can then poke this down behind the starter motor to feel for the hole. Once it's through the crakncase flange, keep light pressure on it as the engine is turned, and the pointy bit will then locate the hole in the flywheel much more easily than a flat end.
The bolts in the camshaft and fuel pump sprockets can be done up with your fingers only. DON'T over tighten them, as the sprockets are sintered metal and will bend/crack quite easily. 10mm of thread into the head/pump is sufficient.
ssm

Post by ssm »

thanks lads - i will remember that lot , i hope
ssm
ssm

Post by ssm »

tale of woe - i started this thread because i didn't know the history of the car i had and was seeking advice on a cam belt change, to those that replied i thank you, the advice was spot on, and i said that i would be doing the job this weekend and post the outcome. Last Thursday at 7.30 got in the car to go to work, started car, went about 10 yards, engine stopped, opened bonnet and there it was a broken cam belt, hoped upon hope that the damage was too great as i was only travelling at 2miles a fortnight, very slowly, arranged for a new belt to sent out and started to prepare the car so i could fit the new belt, using the advice i received on here, it took me just over an hour, all neccessary parts off, engine on a jack, crankshaft and fuel pump locked down, all i had to do was line up the camshaft, the shaft wouldn't turn, removed cam cover, camshaft snaped in two, assuming that the probable cause of this was the valves and pistons coming together i decided that the head was in a bad way, 12 year old car, 209k on the clock, not worth it. They say that every day is like a day at school, you are learning all the time, i gained a lot of learning last thursday. Although i no longer drive a peogeot i shall keep looking into the forum as i think its a great site.
thanks again to those that offered the help and advice, i just wish i had acted sooner.
ssm
alexp-j
My Cars:

Post by alexp-j »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ssm</i>

tale of woe - i started this thread because i didn't know the history of the car i had and was seeking advice on a cam belt change, to those that replied i thank you, the advice was spot on, and i said that i would be doing the job this weekend and post the outcome. Last Thursday at 7.30 got in the car to go to work, started car, went about 10 yards, engine stopped, opened bonnet and there it was a broken cam belt, hoped upon hope that the damage was too great as i was only travelling at 2miles a fortnight, very slowly, arranged for a new belt to sent out and started to prepare the car so i could fit the new belt, using the advice i received on here, it took me just over an hour, all neccessary parts off, engine on a jack, crankshaft and fuel pump locked down, all i had to do was line up the camshaft, the shaft wouldn't turn, removed cam cover, camshaft snaped in two, assuming that the probable cause of this was the valves and pistons coming together i decided that the head was in a bad way, 12 year old car, 209k on the clock, not worth it. They say that every day is like a day at school, you are learning all the time, i gained a lot of learning last thursday. Although i no longer drive a peogeot i shall keep looking into the forum as i think its a great site.
thanks again to those that offered the help and advice, i just wish i had acted sooner.
ssm
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
It must have heard you talking about it.[V]
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

SSM... what have you done with the car? If it's going for cheap/scrap I would be very interested in it for spares for my 405 1.9TD.
ssm

Post by ssm »

sorry m8 it has already gone