106 1.5d Starter motor?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pug106Dave
My Cars:

106 1.5d Starter motor?

Post by Pug106Dave »

Well, last night came out of work, got in car, turn ignition, and dashboard lights up normal, glow plugs do there thing, turn to start, and nothing happens at all!
Tried bump-starting it, but it was raining a lot and was in a small carpark so no luck there. Decided to call the RAC. They arrived very quickly, the guy meter'ed the starter and it was indeed getting power when the ignition was turned, so he hit with his big hammer as i turned the ignition and it jumped into life!
So it looks like it's a new starter motor, does anyone know if the solenoid comes separately or as a single unit? Or is there anything else i should be checking before shelling out loads on a new starter?
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

I believe they're all one part.
If it's anything like my Ax, access is somewhat limited to get the motor out ( it's at the back, rather than at the front as on PSA 1.9 D/TD's ), and the haynes book recommends taking off the down-pipe to improve access ( although not essential ).
During my recent clutch job, we decided to slightly loosen the gearbox bolts and persuade it to go in - it didn't leak any oil from the shafts as we barely moved it 5mm at the top.