Misfire

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hill

Misfire

Post by hill »

Anybody got any ideas on this one? I've got a 2001 406 2.0 GTX 16v petrol and have an annoying misfire. I've got two cars and one driveway so occasionally have to swap the cars round to get the right one at the front for the morning. If the 406 is cold when I do this I get a bad misfire when I start up the following morning. The engine management light flashes and it can last for several miles then clears suddenly. Sometimes I switch off and restart at a local level crossing and it clears after that. The Engine light then stays on continuously for the next 24 hours or so and the goes out of its own accord. Other than this, the engine runs very well. It's only when I run it for a minute or two in the the evening that I get a problem the following day. It feels like something is jamming or sticking and then freeing up when it gets warm but I'm not sure where to start loooking. I did have it plugged onto a diagnostic whatsit one time but it just came up with 'random misfire'. That was helpful then!
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
Make sure you either Peugeot or Bosch spark plugs fitted.
Then I would say a dodgy coil pack