Exchange Engines. Any Horror Stories?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

My Cars:

Exchange Engines. Any Horror Stories?

Post by 609 »

I soon have to replace a head gasket on the 309 - now getting on for 200,000 k's.
Thing is, for little more than I was quoted for the job at a local independent (£250), I notice that I can get a recon cylinder head fitted, complete with recon valves and springs, for only £295 including VAT.
Hmmm.
But - for only £550 - I can get a recon exchange engine fitted, complete with head. [8)]
What are the downsides of exchange engines? And how soon will the gutsy new power plant wallop the original clutch, gearbox and transmission? [?]
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

You get what you pay for. How much recon work has been done on an engine for £550? A full set of gaskets and seals will cost nearly £40, timing belt and tensioners £50, an oil pump must be £40. this soon eats into the £550 and does this include fitting? I may be wrongly thinking it's a diesel one, either way, you need to be asking how much has been done on the recon unit.
My Cars:

Post by 609 »

I called the major advertisers - engines direct and engines world. You get your old cam belt and shaft, oil pump back. Only the basics are exchanged. But yes, prices include fitting and they take care of re-timing.
From my small sample, I note that prices vary. I called a firm in Colchester (Essex) who quoted £960. Almost double.
To me, it still looks better value than the garage labour costs of replacing one gasket only. I suppose that's the real question.