406 2.1 TD problem

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pug406glx
My Cars:

406 2.1 TD problem

Post by pug406glx »

Hi,
I have a problem with my 406 2.1TD that no-one can solve, including 2 main dealers.
When my car is warm, and I mean after about 15-20 miles, the engine races of it's own accord. At idle, it oscillates between 1500 and 2500rpm - which is a bit embarassing at traffic lights. Also, when dipping the clutch to change gear, the engine races up to about 3000rpm - it makes for a less than smooth drive. I have replaced the air filter, air inlet temp sensor and disconnected the EGR to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas please - it is driving me mad.
Thanks in advance,
Antony
mg46783
My Cars:

Post by mg46783 »

have you tried changing the water temp sensor.. not the gauge controller - the one that goes to the ecu.?
just a thought mate - but other than that - you'd need an FCR check...though I would have thought the dealers would have done that!
Let me know.#Mike
pug406glx
My Cars:

Post by pug406glx »

Sounds like a good idea, any idea where it is on the car?
What is an FCR check? It has been plugged into the dealers diagnostic equipment which pointed at the Inlet Air Temp Sensor, which wasn't the problem.
Cheers,
Antony
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Check out the following site:
http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/engine/diesel.html
and read the section ENGINE CARE (XM) subsection INJECTION PUMPS,
CAV = LUCAS.
There's your problem I'd guess.
It wouldn't hurt to read the rest of the article on diesel engines - it's quite informative.
//NiSk
pug406glx
My Cars:

Post by pug406glx »

Thanks very much, it sounds like the first point - incorrect idle speed adjustment. Unfortunately I read this post after taking it into another dealership for investigation. I hope the come up with a similar diagnosis. I will keep you all informed. Exciting isn' it?
volcane305

Post by volcane305 »

This may sound like a very silly suggestion but on two Zx diesels with exactly the same symptoms one which had been dealer investigated(with no success!) the problem was a sticking accelerator pedal. In both cases the carpet in the foot-well was doing the damage so have a good hoke around.
Good luck.
pug406glx
My Cars:

Post by pug406glx »

Well, after the latest trip to the dealer, they diagnosed split inlet manifold seals which they have duly replaced. I couldn't tell whether it has worked or not, because the problem is only apparent after a long run and the dealer is just around the corner. I will know tonight when I get home.
I'll keep you posted.
Thanks for all your advice - I have learnt loads more about pugs.
pug406glx
My Cars:

Post by pug406glx »

Well, I thought it was better, but after a couple of long drives, it appears that the problem is still apparent, albeit maybe slightly less obvious. It is going back in next Thursday so I will mention some of the suggestions here.
Pas
My Cars:

Post by Pas »

Hi,
I have a 406 TD 2.1
while driving the 'K' light comes on and the ECM goes into limp home mode.
It has been checked by the local Peugeot Dealer, who said the fault is in the Throttle potentiometer.
this was replaced twice, but the fault is still there.
any ideas.
thanks Pas.
pug406glx
My Cars:

Post by pug406glx »

I have no ideas, just to say that in relation to my problem at the top of the thread, 2 different Peugeot dealers claim to have solved my problem by replacing different electronic sensers to absolutely no avail. I think part of the problem is that the diagnostic check they perform is only as good as the technician reading the error codes.
Sorry to have been no help - I just wanted to air my frustration!
pug406glx
My Cars:

Post by pug406glx »

Hi,
regarding my problem with a racing engine, the dealer have now diagnosed a problem with the "thermistor". Does anyone know what this is and where it is on the 2.1TD engine?
Cheers,
Antony
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi Anthony - Thermistors are temperature sensors. There's one for the coolant and another for the temperature of the air going into the engine. Your original post seems to indicate that you've already replaced the latter.
pug406glx
My Cars:

Post by pug406glx »

Right - problem sorted! It was indeed the water temperatur thermistor - I changed it myself and it works a treat. Thanks to you all for your suggestions and help.
Cheers,
Antony
mg46783
My Cars:

Post by mg46783 »

Hi Antony.... Firstly, apologies, Ive only just come back and read this section , only to find you'd asked me where that temp sensor was etc.. So sorry about that.
Interesting to read the other stuff on it,... but it seems I was right in the first place (?) so Im glad about that!! They are a common failing and yet often overlooked , even by the dealers - don't know why ! other than the fact that maybe nobody seems to relate a water temp sensor to running problem. The more you know about the diagnostic/ecu workings side of things, the more sense it makes! You'd think therefore that PUG (and other) dealers would know that- but Like you said before , the machines are only as good as the operators! Glad you sorted it - and apologies again!!
cheers
Mike
pug406glx
My Cars:

Post by pug406glx »

mg46783 (?) you were right! I did mention to the dealer all the suggestions I had been given on this thread, but they didn't really want to know. I guess no-one likes to be told their own job do they? I only wish they had listened then I wouldn't have wasted £150 on replacing the inlet manifold sleeves.
Anyway, all's well that ends well as the car is transformed now. It feels better all round.