Flywheel Timing Hole on 306 Turbo Diesel

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

popperjoe

Flywheel Timing Hole on 306 Turbo Diesel

Post by popperjoe »

Hello,
I am trying to change the timing belt on my 1998 306 Turbo Diesel. I have lined up the timing holes in the camshaft sprocket and the injection pump sprocket. According to my Haynes manual I now need to line up my flywheel by inserting a pin through a hole in the cylinder block in to a timing hole in the flywheel. The problem is that I cannot see any such hole in the cylinder block. On a friend's 306 (not a turbo model) the hole is clearly visible, but on my turbo model i cannot see it. Could it possibly be hidden behind the starter motor? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Yes, it is behind the starter motor.
I found on my Xantia that removing various oil breather pipes, and having a general grope around first helped me !
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

You're right! It's hidden behind the starter motor, but you should just be able to see it - from underneath. If you can't, mark the crankshaft with two dobs of white paint. Because of its big starter motor, I use the paint spots on my 2.1TD.
popperjoe

Post by popperjoe »

Thanks for the replies. Using a mirror and torch I eventually managed to find the hole tucked away under and behind the starter motor. I can't believe that Peugeot couldn't have made it more accessible. Anyone would think that they don't want you to do the job yourself !!!
Thanks,
Dave
Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Post by Wookey »

I always find it's easier to take the bloody starter motor off than try to find the hole with it on. As you say - it's all rather inconvenient. I put tippex marks on the flywheel and block to make it easier to see what I am doing next time.