306 1.9 D Turbo common problems

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chindu

306 1.9 D Turbo common problems

Post by chindu »

Hi All,
I am trying to decide whether or not I should sell my P reg 306. I've had all the central locking motors changed (thankfully under warranty), a new power steering pump, the turbo pressure sensor pipe, and finally the rear brake cylinders.
I was wondering if there are any common problems which I've not had repared yet! It's done 75k so the other question is how long should it carry on for before it starts to get (even more) expensive?
Thanks.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Its an XUD, it'll go for ever and ever! I've just sold my old N-reg DTurbo, It was on 112K and still going like the day it was new. Had to replace the radiator cos it leaked from road slat corrosion, btu that was about it. Did lots of preventative maintanaince on it, but it was very very reliabe. Oh and the glowplugs went a couple of winters ago. I only sold it as I was literally bought a V-reg HDi for christmas!!
Keep it serviced, changed the coolant every 2 years, use a decent oil and purflux filter. Headgaskets sometimes go on these, and keep an eye on the rear axle for negative camber on the wheels. Its got plenty of life in it yet, its only just run in [;)]
chindu

Post by chindu »

Hi Ross,
Thanks for the reply. I forgot to add a new set of glow-plugs (about 6 months ago) to my list of new bits. It's got FSH and I'm keeping it serviced regularly - oil change and new oil filter every 5000 miles.
Thanks.
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

To be honest, it doesn't sound like you've had to do that much on an eight (?) year-old car. You were probably unlucky with the locks and I've not heard too much about premature PAS pump failure, but a pipe and the brake cylinders are relatively trivial tasks. Glowplugs are consumables.
At 75k you're overdue a timing belt change if one hasn't been done already. The coolant could probably do with changing as could the brake fluid, but plenty of people don't bother with these. The clutch should be good for over 100k if you don't slip it like billy-o.
These are excellent cars and, as Ross says, will run forever given the right maintenance (i.e.: oil & filter change every 6k and a look over every now and then). Enjoy it, look after it and then do what Ross and I did: upgrade to an HDi [:D]
chindu

Post by chindu »

Hi batwad,
I didn't mention it but the cam-belt was done at 50k. Will keep to a 50k interval unless anyone has any other recommendations/experiences. Brake fluid was done about a month ago as part of the brake cylinder replacement.
Have got myself a nice shiny new bike (Yam Fazer) so the car is for crap weather and surfing. I think I will probably keep the Pug based on the comments here.
Thanks guys.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

XUD engine 75K on the clock. Sold my old ZX 1.9TD with 152K on the clock and it's seen regulary about town. Just keep up with regular maintenance, oil 'n' filter change every 6k or 6 monhts. That kind of thing.
Plodder
My Cars:

Post by Plodder »

190000 miles on my 406 TD and still putting 800 to 1000 miles per week on it.
Cannot see why it cannot last another 100000 miles on this engine....
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

Apart from the antiroll bar drop links which seem to last about 25k, keep the service every at 5k and the coolant changes no longer than 2 years and it will last at least 200k. Mines on 125k and runs like new. One workd of warning however, if the radaitor starts to show signs of backpressure, the head gasket is about to go, and so will &5 - 800!!
Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Post by Wookey »

50K inverval on the timing belt is too long. 40K is recommended and a lot of people prefer 36K. It's _really_ expensive if it goes. It's a day's work to do it yourself (half if you've done it before) or not particuarly expensive to get done professionally. The one item not to skimp on. The XUD is a fine engine which can be expected to go to at least 200K miles without much trouble. The rest of the car will probably fall apart first.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

I'm surprised that you say 50k is too long for a cambelt interval. The peugeot recommendation was aparently 72k, although that is FAAAAR too long. I have always stuck with 50k intervals, and never had a problem. The belts I have taken off at 50k have all been in good condition. I think it's down to how well the tension has been adjusted when it was fitted, and whether the coolant pump is in good order.
I had one 405 that the belt had been on for 60k miles. The car was a shed anyway, so I left it on. 30k miles later, and it was still going round. I sold the car like that too!
I would say 50k is fine as an interval, but change the coolant pump (£18?) and check the idler wheels at the same time to guarantee longevity of the new belt fitted. It's also a REAL pain to have to take a belt off just to change a leaky coolant pump!
as for XUD longevity, that 405 with the 90k belt on it had managed 325k miles, and was still a good engine. shame the rest of the car was a disaster.
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Cambelts are always difficult because for every one that has lasted 40-50k with no problems (mine included) there's another handful that have failed with less mileage. There has to be a luck thing although of course it depends on use. I think a regularly used car is probably less likely to have problems than a low mileage example - a theory with no proof whatsoever!
My 306 DTurbo has clocked up 90k and apart from head gasket and clutch (both at 46k which was odd but warrantied) I've had very little bother.
Any car will need money spending to keep it going. I've had to replace driveshaft seals and discs/pads etc but I've never had a bill over £200 in 42000 miles of motoring which I reckon is pretty cheap!
It now has 90k on the clock and is for sale if anyone is interested! I've got other toys on my mind...
chindu

Post by chindu »

I think I'll play it safe and have the cam-belt changed when I next have it serviced (another 1k). I'll probably get the coolant pump done at the same time so long as the cost isn't too high.
How can you tell if there is pressure building up in the radiator as Kevin said?
Cheers.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

The XUDT is a very good & reliable engine, As long as its not an april 1997 to april 1998 engine with a code or serial number with DHY in it.
chindu

Post by chindu »

Hi PowerLee - what's the problem with the engines manufactured between Apr 97 and Apr 98?
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

PowerLee - don't open up that can of worms again!
Chindu - some of them self-destruct. Have a look through the archive and make your own mind up.