306 Poor Handling

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

thedadio
My Cars:

306 Poor Handling

Post by thedadio »

Hi i need some help. I have 1996 306 Dturbo 132000 miles. Just done the Following
Lower Bushes, Balljoints, Bearings..
Still getting wheel wobble, wandering and odd feeling steering. Plus i get a rumbling coming from passengers front, sounds to me like worn anti roll bar bushes or links, but could these sounds and poor handling be attributed to a worn shock? I will do the anti roll bushes at the same time,,, could it be the top mounts are on their way out? I checked them when i did the work the they seemed okay, no cracks or wear..
Also when going over some speed humps it feels like when the front wheels go over, the passenger shock bangs down as if there is no damping action, but when i bounce the car it suggests the shocks are fine. Is there any possbility that the shock isonly damping one way only? if u get what i mean, but when i first hit the bump the car doesnt bouce all over the place it dampens the bump fine.
bad driver
My Cars:

Post by bad driver »

I would say the poor cornering, wandering and odd steering is one of 3 things, track rod ends, drop links or shocks, with the car jacked up can you feel any play in wheel movement if you shake it by hand?
I would do the droplinks anyway and the track rod ends as they are cheap and easy to do, if that doesnt cure it then might be time for a new shock, if you end up taking the strut out anyway make sure you put new macpherson bearings in the top mount as I am assuming the bearings you mention have been done are the main lower bearings.
ezee_duzit
My Cars:

Post by ezee_duzit »

I've been experiencing poor handling with mine.
Car was fine, then had four new tyres fitted and it's never been the same since!
Had to get the tyres balanced down the road from the garage that fitted the tyres and they didn't have a machine balance wheels with solid centres. I've had them balanced twice now and when turing slightly to the right whilst at a junction etc I feel a slight grating vibration through the s.wheel?
Any ideas?
Cheers
EZ