noisy petrol engine/clatter

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

TomH
My Cars:

noisy petrol engine/clatter

Post by TomH »

I have a 306 1.6 8v which I've had for about 4 months. Soon after I got it the head gasket went, and since then the engine has been pretty noisy, and increasingly more so I think.
It is hard to describe sounds, but at idle it is a sort of loud clicking, but on acceleration takes on a more metallic clatter related to engine speed, and becomes too fast and inaudible above the engine noise above about 3000 rpm.
Is this a characteristic of the old engine and nothing to be worried about, or symptomatic of engine wear or something else? The oil level is fine.
I'm still learning and pretty ignorant about most things under the bonnet still so I find it hard to diagnose! [:I]
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

sounds like the new gasket is aligned incorrectly and the tapping you are hearing is a piston hitting the edge of the gasket each stroke if the noise was not present before.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

If it's the good olf TU5 engine it'll be the tappets needing adjustment. Easy to do at home or £60 for a garage to do.
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

which engine is it? TU or XU series?
if its the TU series engine its possibly the tappets as STUART suggests.
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

I believe it is TU5JP
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

With that engine you can have the tappets adjusted. On picking up my Xsara (smae engine) it rattled like a pea in a tin. As I say can do either at home or any decent garage for about £60. Makes the engine purr.
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

cheers!
I thought the Xsara VTR was 16v!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Early 1.6 Xsara VTR's were all 8 valve. Only 1.8 & 2.0 had the 16 valves until the mark 2's came out then they all got 16 valves.
I've got an 8 valve and that's good enough for me [:D]