clutch help

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

caveman_si
My Cars:

clutch help

Post by caveman_si »

Just to help me clarifiy. my car 405 1.9td (m reg) now with a suspected slipping clutch due to diesel spill (nothing to do with the 193k on the clock). stupid place to put a fuel filter if you ask me.
Symptoms: when i floor it in 3rd the rev's shoot up from just above 2k to just over 3k and then back down a bit with a slight lose of power during the jump. similar slip appears to happen in other gears at diffrent revs but most noticble in 3rd. but if i smoothly acelerate
no apperent slip (yet!)
so my clutch is knackered right?

my next question is would the following part fit??? even tho my 1.9td isnt explicitly listed? i know im being a spanner buts it been a long day and my brain isnt working.
Unipart clutch kit part number GCK743AF is for the following models :
Citroen Xantia 1.9 diesel XUD9TE engine from 03/93 to 03/2001
Citroen Xsara 1.9 diesel from 11/97 onwards
Citroen ZX 1.9 diesel XUD9TE engine from 08/92 to 08/98
Peugeot 306 1.9 diesel XUD9TE engine from 06/93 to 06/99
Peugeot 405 1.9 diesel from 10/92 to 01/97
Peugeot 406 1.9 diesel from 02/96 to 12/98
cheers si
bad driver
My Cars:

Post by bad driver »

Yes that clutch will fit as long as its the same method of operation IE push or pull. I know the engines are the same just not sure if gearboxes are the same in the 405. Easy way to tell is the direction the clutch cable runs to the thrust bearing arm. If its in a holder on the front of the gearbox and running backwards to the arm then its a pull type and the part listed above is a pull type.
From your description it does sound like your clutch is in the first stages of wear and tear, just make sure the above clutch kit comes with thrust bearing.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

One sure way to check that the clutch is indeed on it's last legs is to floor it in 5th at about 40-50mph and then just very gently press the clutch pedal, moving it only about an inch down. If the revs skyrocket, then the clutch has had it. If when you take your foot off the clutch (still at full power) the revs drop again, then there is a little life left. If the revs stay on the limiter, then the clutch really has had it.
If the clutch is only slipping due to a diesel spill, I would see if it dries out after a while, thus delaying the 'orrible job of having to change a clutch!