206 low temp and water leak

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DaveC
My Cars:

206 low temp and water leak

Post by DaveC »

Hiya
My girlfriend has a 206 1.4 LX 2001Y.
The other day, on way to work on motorway, the engine diagnostic light came on. She stopped and after 5 mins set off again, and the light didn't come on again.
At work she checked the water and it was low. It took about litre to fill it up into the expansion tank.
Now though, the car won't run above about 70 degrees, and I'm told by my other half that the temp is usually 90 or so.
It hasn't used any water, but she took it to a local mechanic who rekoned it may have been the union hose (comes from thermostat housing i think, round nearside of engine, and other pipes go off it to the heat exchanger)... It looked a bit crusty and like salt had dried it out a bit, disn't look new anyway.
Anyhow, not 100% sure myself is this is where the water went. Some cars use water, and I'm sure my girlfriend doesn't check it that often, so could have been getting lower for the last 6 months. However, it did have the MOT a few weeks since!? Hmmmm
Anyone had a problem like this before? It sort of sounds like the thermostat is staying open to me, and just not running to temp. Or do these modern ECU's control the water flow at all?
Damn Peugeots. The car had a new head gasket at 30k, just before warranty ran out... apprarently head wasn't skimmed, but the gasket was done.
I'm at a loss so asking here :)
Thanks for any advice at all. Think my girlfriend is going to get the hose done first with the mechanic that does her services, and hopefully that will be it. Still doesn't explain low running temp though!
Cheers
Dave
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

70 degrees sounds about right in this weather.
DaveC
My Cars:

Post by DaveC »

Thanks for the reply...
Since it had a head gasket at 30k and 3 years old, and so Peugeot said, it wasn't skimmed on the head (even though it took 5 days and that was their excuse for it taking so long, skimming the head), we decided it could be more trouble than it was worth in the long run... Head gaskets going on 3 yrs 30k cars is pretty bad either way, and could a sign of a serious Friday afternoon car.
So she traded it against a V6 Ford Cougar...
Cheers
Dave