Philips CD shorting out

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jjandrj6679
My Cars:

Philips CD shorting out

Post by jjandrj6679 »

My 406 is a 99 lx which come standard with a Philips 026 CD player.
My problem is that when listening to the radio I have all the speakers working & only the push forward Mode change on the Control stick, but sometimes all the function work and some times only the mode forwards works, (Depending on the road surface)if you see what I mean.
Now as for the CD Player all of the above applies except that sometimes I only get the Right channel working.
When I go over bumps, cracks even ants in the road it switches on the Right chanel (There is no way to locate which bump either)and if Im realy lucky I get full control over the Control stick too.
Its driving me crazy as Im a cabby and the head unit is missing its vol button so i have to use a screwdriver to adjust the Volume, a bit hit and miss.
I have stipped the CD Unit and the head unit and can see no loose wires, or knackered connections, absolutly nothing seems wrong with it.
I need a little help tracing the Control stick wiring as I cant seem to find its route thru the dash.
has anyone experienced any of the above and cured it?
Tonight It jumped channel over 275 times in a 12 hour shift, you can see why its driving me nuts.
Please some one help me out as Its a nice ride and a comfortable drive for over 16hours.
I can use a multimeter and coversant with electonics and wiring in most Pugs, but this has stumped me.
Please help
Yours
Josh
bad driver
My Cars:

Post by bad driver »

Sounds like a faulty stork or possibly a cracked circuit board in the stereo itself, why not just put an aftermarket head unit in with working buttons. Most the sony ones you can get an adapter for to use with the stalk.
Nice to hear the 406 is comfortable for long periods, I'm a PH driver so looking at buying a 406 at the moment.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Befor you go any further with this just check the lead to the CD changer unit agian. The female plug may look secure but it probably aint. Had the same thing on my Xsara 12 months back. Drove me mad had all the head unit apart and the steering controls. Took it to a head unit repair man who looked at the CD changer. Took the cover off and pionted out that the cd lead where it plugs in, pushes the plug / board back an causes a bad connection. Took him 10 mins to fix and a block of wood 10mm high under the cd changer to lessens the right angle bend of the CD lead in to the plug and all sorted now.
jjandrj6679
My Cars:

Post by jjandrj6679 »

Thanks for that, ill go hunting for the cracks another day. LOL
I was going to replace the head unit in around 3 months when we move, but 4 now im stuck with it. The most annoying thing is I can be driving for hours without a problem, then it starts and for most of the night, then it stops......and starts......and stops ......etc etc. GGGGRRRRRRRRRR.
Thanks again and if anyone else can shed anymore light then feel free to do so.
Yours
Josh