Wiping

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

yangreen

Wiping

Post by yangreen »

Quick query. Any recommendations for wiper blades? I have Bosch fitted at the moment but they have often vibrated against the screen which is irritating to say the least! I have always gone for ones with a spoiler.
I've fitted Halfords own brand in the past which seemed fine but didn't last very long. Any others?
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

any good quality blade is ok.have you tried cleaning the screen and wiper rubber with screen wash additive.
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

I've got a pair of Bosch blades on the front and have had them for over a year and they're still wiping silently.
In contrast, the Halfords refil blade I was forced to buy to go on my rear screen grunts like a pig. Does anyone know if Bosch refils are available from anywhere, as the rear wiper arm on my 306 only seems to take refils rather than complete blades.
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Yeah, I keep the screen clear but no joy. The Bosch ones have been on a while (not sure exactly how long but over 12 months I think) so I might treat myself to a new pair.
Not sure about the rear wiper query. Is that on your 2000 306? Different arm to the earlier ones which are no problem.
amjake

Post by amjake »

I had Bosch fitted and whilst OK never cleared as well as I would have liked. Did favour Champions but Halfords dropped in favour of their own brand (who makes for Halfords?)
I was recommended Trico Teflon in a shop recently and must say they are excellent, quiet, smooth and give a good clean wipe.
http://www.tricoproducts.com/teflon/tef ... erica.html
I am also an advocate of Rain X which when used on 'screen' I find it very effective too.
Jake
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Did a search of wiper reviews and Auto Express recommended some from Car Parts Direct. They seem ok but amazingly, it hasn't rained since I fitted them!
Maybe they use magic which stops rain hence no smearing!
They are only £16.95 for a pair too - delivery free if you order on-line.
I'll report back once the weather turns "british" again.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I had a new Bosch & new Valeo in Sept last year.The Valeo on the passenger side operates silently,but the Bosch judders across the screen.Before that i used to use Halfords own spoiler wipers.But the spoiler always hit the screen over 45mph,which got irratating.The Bosch has a spoiler,wipes fine,but judders.I will get 2 Valeo`s next time.
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

on the subject of rear blades, if you are careful when you remove the old blade you can save the retaining clip and use it on the new bladeshould there be a different fitting
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Neil, if wipers 'judder' in one direction it is usually because the arm is holding the blade at the wrong angle. i.e. Greater than 90 degrees.
The remedy is very technical, bend the arm to the correct angle.
This angle will change as the wipers age due to the blades always parking in the same position, when they do bend back a little.
You will also find that as cars age, the wiper arm bends due to the power of the spring acting on the arm, this causes the arm to form more of a 'U' shape towards the screen. Xantias are particularly prone to this which affects the effciency of the wipers, again get those muscles going!!
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

I feel a wiper rant coming on. Sorry! Why did they design the 306, 406, Xantia etc to leave that triangle where the passenger wiper stops at the top? It's bloomin' irritating when it lets water dribble back down the screen.
That said, the BX I had got annoying as one wipe would leave water on the driver's side of the screen that then ran straight back up the screen again at motorway speeds.
Hmmm, was that really worth a rant?
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

The fix for the dribbly triange, certainly on a 405, is to power the wipers up to the limit of their travel (pointing up the screen), unbolt the passenger wiper arm at the spindle and then reposition it so that it's wipe arc finishes within the driver's wipe arc.
I gave up on the standard wiper arrangement on my 405, as at high speed, the airflow is perfectly perpendicular to the drivers wiper when it's direclty in front of your face, so it lifts and judders badly. Personally I think it's a design fault in a large number of cars. My fix for that is to use a Mercedes-Benz cam-driven single wiper arrangement. Now the wiper is much more in line with the airflow, and the wiped area is significantly better. Does look a bit odd to have a Merc part on a 405, but it works well!
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Blimey! That's an oddball fix. I think I'll live with it for now. At least rain is forecast so I can test my new blades! Silly thing is, I'm thinking of flogging the car now. Us boys just can't make our minds up (or we see too many tempting motors on Ebay...)