Rear Sag

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ross
My Cars:

Rear Sag

Post by Ross »

On my L reg 106 diesel the rear offside suspension appears worn as the car does not sit square when parked in fact it has a fair amount of lean - Haynes makes passing comment about the torsion bar arrangement and adjustment to the same - I have tried a couple of garages who really didnt want to know - has anyone adjusted the ride height via adjusting the torsion bar settings and is it something that is relatively easy to do or not ? Is it easier to replace the whole rear suspension with a unit from the breakers ?
Out of interest did any marque of 106 have rear discs ? the discs would be a bonus if I did change the rear complete.
Thanks
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Adjusting rear torsion bars is possible, But if you have never done one before, You could be letting yourself in for a major headache! Thats why the garages didnt wont to know!
The 106 GTI had rear discs fitted
Give these people a ring & ask them
http://www.sspengineering.co.uk/
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

This is a common 106 problem, its simply a case of knackard rear shocks. 30 mins to change them, look them up on gsf! It sags on the drivers side mainly I am guessing?
rotodiesel

Post by rotodiesel »

Unassisted shock absorbers have no influence on ride height. The most likely cause of a lop sided 106 is the failure of one set of trailing arm bearings. This is not an easy job; better to get a complete rear axle assembly from a breaker.
I would not fit disk brakes to the rear of any car of moderate performance and weight if you want a trouble free and effective handbrake.
rotodiesel.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

I quite agree, fitting rear discs and then geeting the back to lock up every time you brake moderately is a good laxative.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

If this is a failure of a set of trailing arm bearings, it may be that it cannot be repaired without a replacement axle. The needle roller bearings in these run without an inner race, running directly on the axle assembly. I say running, I really mean "reciprocating", which is the problem really, as the needle rollers wear grooves in the axle end, thus ruining it. It's a really awful design, going against everything "correct" in design engineering. The 405 suffers from the same design of rear suspension, and there are very few 405 estates that haven't developed a wonky nearside rear wheel.
Having said that, I have a design of bush in my 405 at the moment which I am hoping has meant that despite having a knackered axle, the rear wheels sit at the correct angle, and it won't wear out in 5 minutes. If it works, maybe it'll be marketable. Anyone else want to try a set?
David Humphrey

Post by David Humphrey »

yes would be interested.
David
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Unfortunately I've just realised I no longer have access to the machine shop where I made the set I am currently running on. I may put the drawings to a Manufacturer and get them to make me a trial set or two, to see what the cost is.
Most Scrappies charge at least £150 for a good 405 Estate back axle, so if it's less than that, it must be a bonus, especially as it means you don't have to change the axle, which is not exaclty fun.
If anyone else is interested, then please e-mail me. The more interest there is, the faster I am likely to do something about it!
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

You didn't say which side your 106 is sagging on looking from the rear, I would guess it is the drivers side.......