Head Skimming

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

StuR

Head Skimming

Post by StuR »

Does anyone know how much material can be taken off a head? The head gasket went on my 205 1.9 Gti and I know that the head has already been skimmed once before. I'd like to know how much more material I've got to play with as I'd like to skim it again before it goes back on. Help would be appreciated, cheers.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

I know on the XUD heads there are 2 recessed patches, one at either end of the head, which work very much like the tread depth guages on tyres: you can contunue to skim the head until the recesses are flush with the surface of the head. I'm guessing, but I would suspect the XU petrol probably has the same recesses built into it. They are about the size of a 5p piece, and are about 10mm in from the corner of the head, on the "front" of the engine. Most engines I've seen have a good 10-12 thou available to skim off, and considering the last head I had skimmed only had 3 thou taken off it, It would suggest it could be done at least 3 times, if not 4. It also depends how good your machine shop is. The old-boy I take my heads to to be skimmed takes 0.5 thou skims off until the head looks good, so if it hasn't warped, you may be able to get away with only 1 thou being removed.
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

check how many notches there are on your old head gasket,the more holes it has the thicker the gasket is.check that it hasnt already got the thickest gasket on already,before you have the head machined or you might have problems.if so it might be possible to have the valve seats cut deeper into the head etc,but this is the last resort!